Feature Image

Irondequoit Over Canandaigua in Semifinals


Irondequoit came out strong in their 10-6 win over Canandaigua.  The Eagles scored five goals in the opening quarter to take the early lead.  Leading that charge was Steven Clinkscales, who finished with 4g-1a.  The game was plagued with multiple penalties and both teams had changes at man-up.  Irondequoit finished with 4 man-up goals; while Canandaigua was only able to capitalize one single man-up goal.  

Irond at CanadThe Gray Wolves came out of the gate swinging, with the first two goals of the quarter.  Alex Rheude scored the opener off a loose ball pickup on the crease.  After saving the first shot, the ball was loose on the crease.  Rheude grabbed the loose ball and put the Gray Wolves on the board.  Two minutes later, they added another with Jack Stanney scoring off a drive down the left side.  Irondequoit settled themselves and scored the next four goals over a 90 second period.  Sophomore Cooper Moore scored the first Eagle's goal during a man-up opportunity.  Fifteen seconds later they tied the game with an inside pass by Steven Clinkscales to Ben Wilson. The go head goal was scored off a face-off fast-break with Jonah Carrier grabbing the loose ball to win the draw and then feeding to Clinkscales.  After another minute, the Eagles took the 4-2 lead with Clinkscales' second goal.  Each team added one more goal before the end of the quarter.  Canandaigua's Drew Williamee scored with a single drive down the right side.  Irondequoit's Colin Giudice scored their final goal during yet another man-up play.  The Eagles led 5-3 after the first quarter.

Irond at CanadIn the second quarter, the scoring slowed down with only 3 more goals in the entire twelve minutes.  Of the three goals, two were scored during man-up with Irondequoit's Oliver Grisdale and Canandaigua's Williamee each scoring.  The third goal of the quarter was another Eagle's goal.  Grisdale scored from the top of the restraining line with a high bounce over Canandaigua goalie Tyler DeRue.  DeRue, who only played the first half, finished with 2 recorded saves.  The Eagles continued to hold the lead 7-4 into halftime.

In the third quarter, Canandaigua opened up the scoring during a slow break.  Junior midfielder Ryan Bremer scored unassisted with 9:28 remaining on the clock.  Two minutes later, the Eagles responded with a fast-break goal with defensive midfielder Jordan Nolan assisting Clinkscales on his third goal of the night.  The Gray Wolves closed out the quarter with an unassisted goal by junior Mike Belles.  The Eagles led 8-6 going into the final quarter.  Irondequoit continued to hold the Gray Wolves scoreless in the final 12 minutes while adding two of their own.  In the cage for the Gray Wolves, Freshman Peyton Fritz finished out the remainder of the game and recorded 4 saves.  For the Eagles, Sven Havitzreuther played the entire game and recorded 9 saves.  Irondequoit moved on to the Finals and will face Victor on Tuesday.