Game Day Reports for

Tuesday May 31, 2022

Scores Today
Pal-Mac - 8HFL - 5REPORT
Livonia-Avon - 6Penn Yan - 8REPORT


Livonia-Avon - 6
Penn Yan - 8
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Livonia-Avon 1 3 2 0   6
  Penn Yan 2 1 1 4   8


Penn Yan Wins 26th Title

-  SPORTSFIVE REPORT:  Penn Yan cemented their 26th Section V Title with a comeback 8-6 win over Livonia-Avon.  The Mustangs trailed for most of the game before scoring four unanswered goals in the fourth quarter to secure the win.  The Mustangs showed their pedigree of Section Final matches and stayed cool and collected throughout.  Freshman attackman Teagan Fingar finished the game with 3g-1a and was named the Class D All Tournament MVP.  The freshman also had 5g-2a coming into the game from the last two games. 

Irondequoit at  PenfieldOffensively, Carter Earl and Bryant VanHousen were also added to the All Tournament list.  For the Lakers Jackson McEnerney (2g-1a) and Justin Skelly (2g-1a) joined face-off midfielder Matthew Conner (1a) in being named to the All Tournament team.  In the defense, Jonathan Crye (Livonia-Avon) was also named to the team.  From the semi-Finals, attackman Connor Tomion (Marcus Whitman) and midfielder Gio Valerie (Aquinas) were also named to the All Tournament team.

Livonia-Avon came out of the gate offensively, scoring only 53 seconds into the contest.  The goal came from McEnerney driving along the goal line from the right side and beating his defenseman.  The Mustangs answered with two of their own to take a lead.  VanHouten scored with his own drive along the goal-line.  Six minutes later, the first assisted goal of night happened with a cross pass from Braden Fingar to Earl.  The Mustangs took the early 2-1 lead into the second quarter.

>In the second quarter, the Lakers kept up the pressure and scored three unanswered goals to put them back on top.  All three goals included Skelly with him scoring two and assisting on one.  The first was scored by McEnerney, with the feed coming across the cage to the high left flat.  The second started with a drive by McEnerney; after the slide, he dumped the ball off to Skelly on the other side of the crease.  Livonia-Avon was back on top only 3 minutes into the second quarter.  They held the lead until 8 minutes left in the game.  Three minutes later Skelly scored his second goal of the night after picking up the loose ball on a scrum in front of the goal.  The Lakers remained up by two until the final seconds of the half.  With time expiring, the Mustangs scored with T. Fingar scoring off the feed from Earl.  The Lakers led 4-3 going into halftime.

Penn Yan MVPIn the third quarter, Penn Yan scored the opening goal to tie the game for the second time.  T. Fingar scored an unassisted goal off another scrum.  Livonia-Avon goalie Matt Beachel came up with a big save, but failed to control the ball.  Beachel finished the game with 8 saves.  The loose ball came out near the crease and T. Fingar was able to grab the ball and finish into the back of the net.  The Lakers responded with two more goals to hold their lead.  The first was scored on their second possession of the game (nine minutes into the quarter).  Derrick Wigley scored off a feed from Connor.  The goal came off a slow break clear with 3:37 on the clock.  The final goal of the third quarter was scored with 0:46 remaining.  Shane Malead scored with a mid range outside shot to put the Lakers up by two (6-4) going into the final 12 minutes.

Penn Yan ChampsThe Mustangs excelled in the final quarter, including holding the Lakers scoreless for the entire 12 minutes.  The defensive effort was spearhead by defenseman Hunter Sheehan, he was named to the All Tournament for the Mustangs.  Goalie, Griffin Emerson finished the game with 9 saves for Penn Yan.  Van Housen was also a major player in the final quarter.  He finished with 1g-2a in the quarter (2g-2a on the game).  He scored the first goal of the quarter with a mid range outside shot.  Just over a minute later, he fed the ball to Earl with another mid range outside shot for the Mustangs.  The game remained tied for 2 minutes before Penn Yan scored their second go ahead goal of the game.  Caden Dixon scored his first goal of the game off a cross crease feed from T. Fingar.  The final goal of the game was scored with 2:00 remaining on the clock with VanHousen returning the favor and feeding T. Fingar for the goal.

Penn Yan moves forward to face Section VI in the first round of the State Tournament on Saturday.    [BOX SCORE]       - - More images in the photo gallery.


More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Pal-Mac - 8
HFL - 5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Pal-Mac 2 1 2 3   8
  HFL 0 3 2 0   5


Pal-Mac Comes Back and Wins First Title Since 2017

- After appearing in the finals the last two seasons, Pal-Mac came into tonight’s game looking for their first win since 2017.  The Red Raiders fought back hard with last four goals of the game to defeat HF-L 8-5. Pal-Mac vs HFL A key factor in that win was Red Raider goalie Will Nichols.  He finished the game with nine saves, including six in the first half and was named the All Tournament MVP for Class C.  The defense for both teams was impressive with six of the eleven All Tournament Spots going to defensive players.  HF-L Defenseman Tyler Emerson, LSM Owen Smith and midfielder Patrick Donahoe were all named to the team.  For Pal-Mac, defenseman Jakob Day and Kyle Hoestery were both named alongside Nichols.

Rounding out the All Tournament team were Geneva attackman Curtis Denison, Pal-Mac attackman Logan Babcock and midfielders Quinn Nolan and Riley Lich.  For the Cougars, Chase Perryman rounded out the list.

Pal-Mac vs HFLThe opening goal was scored three minutes into the game with Babcock scoring his first goal.  He scored off a drive down the left side of the restraining line.  Keagan Hoesterey also drove from the left side (from behind the cage), after the slide, he found the open Babcock for a mid range shot.  Less than 30 seconds later, he scored again with an unassisted drive from the top of right corner.  The Red Raiders kept the ball for nearly the entire quarter.  The Cougars only had a handful of possessions, but lost the ball shortly after getting the ball each time.  The Cougars only had a single shot on cage (save) during the entire quarter.  The Red Raiders took the 2-0 lead into the second quarter.

HF-L finally got on the board just under 16 minutes into the game.  With 8:08 remaining in the second quarter, freshman midfielder Quinn Kailbourne scored off a loose ball pickup on the crease.  Nichols stopped an inside dodge from the right goal line, but failed to control the ball.  The loose ball was grabbed by Kailbourne and after multiple fakes, finished into the back of the net.  Pal-Mac vs HFLThree minutes later and the Cougars tied the game up at 2-2.  After a bad pass by the Red Raiders, the Cougars got the ball and pressed up on a fast-break.  Defenseman Owen Smith scored off a feed from Drew Angelo on the give and go.  Smith scored with a hard shot to the lower right corner.  The Red Raiders won the ensuing draw; however, they could not push the advantage and HF-L won the ball back off a weak shot on the cage.  Goalie Trevor Reese finished with 6 saves on the game.

HF-L cleared the ball up and called a time out just over the midfield line at 3:25.  The Cougars worked the ball and scored their third straight goal to give them the lead.  Freshman attackman Matthew Brassie scored with a drive from behind the cage.  Pal-Mac ended up the penalty box with 2:00 left on the clock; however the Cougars could not capitalize.  The Red Raiders got the ball on offense during man-down and ran out the clock.  When they were even, the ball was knocked down behind the cage.  HFL grabbed the loose ball under pressure and looked to outlet the pass to his team.  This gave Quinn Nolan a shot at the interception.  He grabbed the loose ball near the crease and finished into the back of the net with 0:09 left on the clock.  The game went tied 3-3 into halftime.

Offensive Player of the YearPal-Mac came out of halftime and set the tone only 11 seconds into the quarter.  Face-off midfielder Nolan grabbed his own ground ball off the face and took it straight into the cage.  They won the second face-off as well, but couldn’t convert.  HF-L kept in the game with two back to back goals to take the lead.  Brassie scored his second off a feed from his brother David Brassie with a shot from the high crease.  Two minutes later, the Cougars took back the lead during a man-up goal from Perryman to Drew Angelo.  The Cougars led 5-4 with 6:59 left in the third quarter.  The Red Raider defense, led by Nichols kept them scoreless for the final 18 minutes of play.  The final goal of the third quarter was scored by Matt D’Arduini during a fast-break, with an assist coming from Riley Lich.  The game was tied 5-5 going into the final quarter.

Pal-Mac ChampsPal-Mac controlled the entire fourth quarter adding three of their own and holding the Cougars scoreless.  The Red Raiders scored two goals in the first two minutes with unassisted goals from Hoestery and Babcock.  The final goal of the contest was a man-up goal with Babcock assisting Nolan.  The Cougars had a few late shots at the goal; however, they could not capitalize.

The Red Raiders are back in action on Saturday for the first round of the State Tournament.     [BOX SCORE]       - - More images in the photo gallery.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.