Feature Image

Victor Downs Spencerport for Trip to the Finals


Victor defeated Spencerport 10-4 to advance to the Championship game on Tuesday.  The Blue Devils scored the first four goals of the game and never looked back.  Although the Rangers pressed hard to finish the third, the Blue Devils were able to score the final three goals and secure the win.  Leading in scoring for the Blue was senior Jack Herendeen with 2g-4a.  Junior Brody Secker finished with 2g-2a and both Jackson Mead and Aiden Clinkscales finished with 2g.  For the Rangers Zach Tortoara finished with 2g to lead his team.  In the cage for Spencerport, senior Taylor Kaye finished with 13 saves.

Victor at SpencerportThe game started off with Victor controlling the scoring.  They added a single goal in the first quarter with Christian Besaw scoring off a feed from Herendeen.  The Blue Devils kept control for most of the quarter but did not score another goal.  In the second quarter, the Blue Devils added another three goals.  Herendeen scored his first off a feed from Secker to the top of the restraining box.  Two minutes later, they flipped with Secker scoring off a feed from Herendeen also near the top of the box.  The final Blue Devils goal of the quarter was scored by Mead with an assist from long stick defenseman Simon Kowal.  Kowal was a standout on the defensive side of the field and finished with multiple one-on-one takes from the Ranger's offense.  Spencerport got on the board with an unsettled goal by junior Zachary Ajavananda off a feed from junior Jayden Mandarano.  The Blue Devils led 4-1 going into halftime.

Victor at SpencerportVictor came out of halftime and added two more goals.  Clinkscales scored with a drive from the top and Herendeen scored during fast-break (assisted by Besaw).  With 3:07 remaining on the clock, the Blue Devils led 6-1.  Spencerport made a strong effort at a comeback with 3 of the next four goals, but it was not enough.  The Rangers scored during man-up with eighth grader Gavin Brown assisting Tortora followed by Tortora scoring unassisted during a slow break situation.  Ending the third quarter (with 0:17) on the clock was the second goal by Clinkscales.

In the fourth quarter, Spencerport scored first with their final goal of the game.  Ajavananda scored during double man-up with 11:13 remaining on the clock.  The Blue Devils kept up the pressure and added three more goals before the end of the game.  Mead, Secker and sophomore Colin Wheeler scored for Victor.  In the cage for Victor, senior Parker Erwin finished with 6 recorded saves.  The Blue Devils move on to face Irondequoit in the Finals on Tuesday.