Saturday: Season 2011 Begins in the Cold


The 2010 season ended on June 12th in warm weather as Fairport ended Section Five play in the NYS championship game. The first day of the 2011 was played in freezing temperatures between 21 and 32 degrees, but in generally clear and sunny skies.

Pittsford tries out the new turf field at McQuaid and won a close 5-4 game dominated by the defensive play at both ends of the field. Penfield beat visiting West Seneca East 14-1. Aquinas hosted three games today, starting with Bath over Mynderse in a close 8-7 win. Aquinas beat St. Francis (Buffalo) 18-8 in a game that saw ninth grade attackman Alex Bianchi score 6g-3a. In the last game of the day, Livonia was a 14-7 winner over Victor.

quick links

Pittsford 5 - McQuaid Jesuit 4  

game summary s5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Tot
 McQuaid Jesuit
     Record: 0-1
0 2 1 1 0 4
     Record: 1-0
1 1 2 1 0 5

The book for McQuaid Jesuit: Alex Pochodylo (1a), Ryan Williams (2g-1a), Alex Paroda (1g-1a), Brian Nally (1g), Goaltending: Pat Sheridan 16s/5ga = 76% (48 mins)

The book for Pittsford: James Burke (1g-1a), Jack Lauroesch (1g), Timmy Cooper (1a), Corey Parke (1g), Alex Kober (1g-1a), Tyler Wehner (1g), Goaltending: Conor Quinn 5s/4ga = 56% (48 mins).


  -- Updated special report  Pittsford controlled the pace of the game and that, in the end, won them their season opener over McQuaid Jesuit 5-4. The Panthers controlled the ball on offense, keeping it away from the Knights. Pittsford-McQuaid

Pittsford took four times as many shots (44-11) with nearly three times as many on cage (21-9). They finished with 11% of their shots resulting in goals while McQuaid Jesuit finished with 36%. In the cage, McQuaid's Pat Sheridan had a stand out game finishing with 16 saves (76%). Pittsford's Conor Quinn finished with 5 saves (56%). Pittsford dominated the face-off draw with midfielder James Burke (Delaware) finishing at 83% (10/12).

Pittsford struck first with the only goal of the first quarter. Senior attackman Alex Kober, who is set to attend the Air Force Academy after graduation, finished with 1g-1a after scoring the first goal (unassisted). In the second quarter, McQuaid came back to tie the game for the first of four times. Alex Paroda assisted Ryan Williams (Gettysburg) for the extra-man offense goal. Three minutes later and Pittsford was up again with an unassisted goal from Corey Parke. Paroda tied the score for the second time at 2-2 with an unassisted goal to end the quarter. The first half concluded in a 2-2 tie.

For the third straight quarter, the Panthers opened up the scoring. Burke scored a goal during extra-man offensive with Timmy Cooper feeding the ball. Pittsford took the largest lead of the game with their next goal. With 4:17 remaining in the third quarter, Jack Lauroesch scored on an assist from Kober. With 0:01 remaining in the quarter, McQuaid's Brian Nally scored on an assist from Ryan Williams to bring the game back within a single goal. The third quarter finished with Pittsford leading 4-3.

For the third time, the Knights tied the game with Williams scoring after a feed from Alex Pochodylo with 6:56 remaining in the game. The Panthers came right back with an exciting score from the ensuing face-off only 0:06 later. Burke picked up his own ground ball and fed Tyler Wehner for the game winning goal. Pittsford controlled the ball and although the Knights had a couple of opportunities, the Panthers ran out the clock. The Knights did not get a shot off after Pittsford final goal.  return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look look at the full statistics from Pittsford and McQuaid Jesuit.


Livonia 14 - Victor 7  

game summary s5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Tot
     Record: 1-0
6 1 4 3 0 14
     Record: 0-1
1 3 3 0 0 7

The book for Livonia: Wyatt Struble (2g-3a), Josh Wester (5g-2a), Steven Diener (2g-2a), Kenny Lane (2a), Cody Cisco (3g), Evan Lyons (1g), Derek Bishopp (1g), Goaltending: Ethan Jamison 9s/7ga = 56% (48 mins)

The book for Victor: Mitch Rupp (3g-1a), Max Hill (1a), John Maloney (3g-1a), Dale Mattice (1g), Goaltending: Steve Basile 2s/14ga (45 mins), John Phillips 0s/0ga (3 mins).


  -- special report In the third game at the Aquinas Institute, Livonia came out to an early lead and defeated Victor 14-7. The Bulldogs scored seven of the first eight goals and although Victor attempted to fight back in the second half, they could not close the gap beyond three goals.

The Blue Devils struggled with penalties and goalie performance. Senior goalie Steve Basile had an off night, finishing with only two saves (one in the third quarter and one in the fourth quarter). The first seven shots that were on cage resulted in goals. On the other end of the field, Livonia's Ethan Jamison finished with 9 saves (56%) including a number of impressive stops. In the first quarter,Livonia-Victor Livonia had scoring from four different athletes. Wyatt Struble, Josh Wester, Cody Cisco and Steven Diener all scored. The starting attack of Struble, Wester and Cisco finished with a combined 10g-5a. Junior Dale Mattice, of Victor, scored the only Blue Devil goal of the opening quarter. Mattice was impressive at the face-off draw, finishing with 14/19 (74%) and four ground balls.

In the second quarter, Livonia scored their seventh goal only 1:29 into the quarter with a second goal from Cisco. The junior attackman took a hard outside shot after receiving a pass from Diener. Down 7-1, the Blue Devils started their first attempt at a come-back as they scored three more goals before the conclusion of the first half. John Maloney added the first of his 3g-1a on a drive from behind the cage. Mitch Rupp added the first of his 3g-1a with a drive from the outside after a broken clear. Maloney scored again to conclude the quarter with a shot from the crease and a feed from Max Hill. Livonia held a 7-4 lead at halftime.

Victor had penalty problems at the start of the third quarter. They finished the game with seven penalties, including a triple man down in the fourth quarter with each of the boys receiving a slash penalty. Livonia's first goal of the third quarter was scored in extra-man with Wester feeding Cisco. 0:44 second later Victor scored again on a dead ball drive by Rupp from behind the cage. Wester went from feeding to scoring with an underhand goal after catching a pass from Kenny Lane. Once again Livonia-VictorVictor scored with Maloney catching an inside feed from Rupp. Livonia continued their three point lead (9-6) with 4:27 remaining. Livonia scored the next two with an unassisted goal by Diener and another scored by Wester (assisted by Struble). The final goal of the quarter came with a feed from behind the cage by Maloney to Rupp. The third quarter ended with the score 11-7. With 1:03 remaining in the third quarter, Victor scored their last goal of the game.

In the fourth quarter, Livonia added three goals to their tally. Wester, Evan Lyons and Derek Bishopp scored the final three goals. Bishopp's goal was the final goal of the game at 3:11 and happened during the triple man-up opportunity.

Overall, Livonia finished with 84% of their shots on cage as opposed to Victor who finished with only 35% on cage. The Blue Devils had over twice as many shots as Livonia (46-19) with both teams placing 16 on cage. A key difference was Livonia's patience while waiting for a good shot and Victor simply tossing the ball at the net.

Livonia Head Coach Brett Wood noted, "I was very happy with the quality of shots and patience we had when the ball was in our end." On the other hand, Victor led the ground ball battle with defenseman Dan Declerk finishing with a team leading six ground balls. Midfielders Connor Kimball (5) and Mattice (4) and defenseman Masingil (4) also contributed. For Livonia, midfielder Bishopp and attackman Wester finished with five each. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Bath 8 - Mynderse 7  

game summary s5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Tot
     Record: 1-0
2 3 3 0 0 8
     Record: 0-1
1 3 1 2 0 7

The book for Bath: Kyle Harrison (2g-3a), Drew Wager (1g), Brian Gable (1g-1a), Matt Ross (1g), Nick Rossi (2g-1a), Trevor Lang (2a), TEAM GOAL (1g), Goaltending: Andrew Clark 14s/7ga = 67% (48 mins)

The book for Mynderse: Brett Wood (1g), Mike Clark (2g), Leroy Halftown (2g-1a), Aaron Peterman (2g-2a), Goaltending: Tim Trickler 8s/8ga = 50% (48 mins).


  -- special report In the first completed game of the season Bath defeated Mynderse 8-7 after holding on in the final quarter. Bath had seven different players make the scorebook, including senior attackman Kyle Harrison, who finished with 2g-3a. Harris ion was a demonstrative feeder, hitting three different teammates on inside feeds and scoring both of his goals on fast breaks.Bath-Mynderse

Mynderse scored the first goal of the 2011 season when transfer student Leroy Halftown scored unassisted after scooping up a ground ball on the crease. Halftown finished the game with an impressive 2g-1a with a team leading six ground balls. The junior will be a key player all season for Mynderse. Bath came back and took the lead before the end of the first quarter. Once they tied the game with 5:43 the Rams never trailed again. Nick Rossi scored during extra-man with outside shot. Three minutes later the first of Harrison's inside feed occurred with his finding Matt Ross open for the goal. The first quarter ended with Bath leading 2-1.

Bath increased their lead to two with the first goal of the second quarter. Harris ion scored during a fast-break with a feed from Rossi only two and a half minutes into the quarter. Mynderse, not to be left behind, scored the next two goals to tie the game at 3-3. The first goal, at 7:44, was scored on fast-break with Aaron Peterman finding Brett Wood open for the goal. Peterman finished as the leading scorer for the Blue Devils with 2g-2a. Yet another fast-break resulted in the tying goal. Halftown scored his second goal in a similar manner to his first; by scooping up a ground ball in front of the crease and finishing into the back of the net. With the score tied at three, Bath came back with two extra-man goals. Over the course of the game, Bath converted seven attempts at extra-man into four goals. The goals were scored with a cross-crease pass by Harrison to Drew Wager and an outside shot by Rossi (assisted by defenseman Trevor Lang). The final goal of the quarter was scored by Mynderse attackman Mike Clark. Clark scored on a fast-break with the feed coming from Peterman. The first half ended with Bath leading 5-4.

Bath-MynderseOnce again, Mynderse tied the game; this time at 5-5. Clark netted his second goal from a cross-crease pass from Halftown. Bath took the lead once again after a defensive error by Mynderse resulted in a goal. Bath continued by adding two more in the final two minutes of the quarter. The first was scored by Harrison and he assisted on the second. The first goal was scored on fast-break with Harrison receiving the ball from Brian Gable. Only 1:18 later, Harrison returned the favor and found Gable open on the crease for his lone goal of the game. That was the final goal for Bath. The third quarter ended with Bath holding an 8-5 lead.

In the fourth quarter, Bath only took two shots and both missed the cage. Mynderse scored their first goal of the quarter with 8:31 remaining. Peterman took the ball far outside to the left and drove in past three different Bath defensemen to put the ball into the back of the net. With 0:36 remaining in the game, Mynderse called a time out. Peterman took the ball out of the huddle and drove straight to the goal but did not convert. The Blue Devils had one last chance at the cage with 0:06 remaining in the game, but could not capitalize to send the game into overtime.

Bath defenseman Trevor Lang finished with a team leading ten ground balls. Midfielders Rossi (8) and Gable (7) also made significant contributions. The Rams struggled with shooting, hitting the cage only 47% of the time. They finished the game with 34 shots only 16 of which were on cage. Rossi finished with a team leading 12 shots (five on cage). In the cage, Andrew Clark finished with a 67% day (14 saves). For Mynderse, Tim Trickler finished the game with 8 saves (50%). Joining Halftown in ground ball tallied were Danny Galusha and Casey Irland with five each. Galusha also finished with nine wins at the face-off draw (56%).

The game was filled with penalties which helped Bath and hurt Mynderse. Mynderse finished the game 0/8 in extra man offense opportunities. With multiple momentum shifts the game was close throughout. Although Bath never lost the lead, Mynderse kept fighting back to keep the game close, tying numerous times and providing excitement for the fans at Wegmans Field. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Aquinas 18 - St. Francis 8  

game summary s5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Tot
     Record: 1-0
5 6 5 2 0 18
 St. Francis
     Record: unavailable
3 2 2 1 0 8

The book for Aquinas: Klay Heston (5g-2a), Pete DiLaura (1a), Nick Weston (2g-1a), Alex Bianchi (6g-3a), Jake Vogl (1g), Joe Snook (3g-2a), Billy Lombardi (1g-2a), Goaltending: Erich Wischmeyer 6s/7ga (36 mins), Tom Mscichowski 1s/1ga = 50% (12 mins)

The book for St. Francis: Cooper Stefaniak (3g), Alex Misterman (2g), Collin Krasowski (1g-1a), Nick Luciano (1g-1a), Mike Gauacher (1g) and Kyle MacDonald (1a). In the cage, Anthony Tojek played the first half and recorded one save and Brad Whitford played the second half and did not record a save.


  -- special report The second game of the day featured the home team Aquinas Little Irish playing host to Section VI's St. Francis. The Red Raiders kept the game close for the first half of the first quarter, before Aquinas ran away with the game. With the final quarter was played in voluntary running time and the game ended 18-8 Aquinas.

Aquinas scored first, only 1:08 into the game when Billy Lombardi drove straight in and passed the ball off to Alex Bianchi for his first goal. Bianchi, whose brother Anthony (currently at Robert Morris College) was a senior last season, finished this first Varsity game with 6g-3a. Every shot that he took resulted in a goal.

St. Francis tied the game with a goal by Collin Krasowski (assisted by Kyle MacDonald). The second Little Irish goal was scored by their second prolific scorer in Klay Heston who finished last season with 60g-29a and finished today's game with 5g-2a. His first goal was scored on a fast-break with Lombardi once again assisting on the play. Lombardi, a sophomore, was also impressive in today's game. He took 20 face-offs and finished with 13/20. Of his seven losses, four were technical fouls.

The Red Raiders tied the game yet again only 0:29 later with a straight drive by Cooper Stefaniak. Stefaniak finished the game leading his team with 3g. That was the end of a close game. In the final two minutes of the first quarter Aquinas added three more goals. Sophomore transfer Nick Weston scored the first of his 2g-1a after a feed from behind the cage by Joe Snook. Snook, a sophomore, rounded out the attack for Aquinas and finished with an impressive 3g-2a. Heston and Bianchi each added another goal before the end of the quarter. St. Francis scored after a face-off fast break with 0:13 remaining in the quarter with an unassisted goal by face-off man Alex Misterman. The first quarter ended with Aquinas leading 5-3.

In the second quarter, Aquinas broke the scoring open, adding six more goals and holding the Red Raiders to only two. Goals in this quarter were scored by Bianchi, Jake Vogl, Lombardi, and Heston. For St. Francis, Stefaniak and Misterman each added their second goal. St. Francis goalie Anthony Tojek played the entire first half of the game and finished with one save. In the second half, Brad Whitford took over, but did not record a save. Aquinas converted 62% of their shots into goals (29 shots - 19 on cage). The first half ended with the score 11-5.

In the third quarter Aquinas kept up the pressure adding five more and holding St. Francis to two. Bianchi, Snook, Heston and Weston added the goals for the Little Irish. Stefaniak and Mike Gauacher scored for the Red Raiders. After the conclusion of the third quarter, the coaches agree to play the fourth quarter in running time. The fourth quarter had scoring by Heston and Snook for Aquinas and Nick Luciano for St. Francis.

Misterman and Stefaniak both finished with a team leading six ground balls. Finishing with four ground balls for the Red Raiders were midfielder Brendan Misterman and defenseman Bobby Hornbergan. Leading the shooting was Gauacher with six shots (two on cage). For Aquinas, Vogl finished with a team leading 10 ground balls. Pete DiLaura (8), Heston (6) and Lombardi (6) also made significant contributions. Heston finished with 10 shots (6 on cage and 5 goals). In the cage for Aquinas, Erich Wischmeyer played the first three quarters with six recorded saves and Tom Mscichowski played the fourth quarter with one recorded save.

Aquinas led in nearly all statistical categories. The Little Irish led in ground balls 46-28, face-offs 20/30 and one-on-one takes 4-3. St. Francis did finish with a higher clearing percentage with a 90% success rate. They held the Little Irish to only 62%. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Penfield 14 - West Seneca East 1  

game summary s5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Tot
     Record: 1-0
5 3 3 3 0 14
 West Seneca East
     Record: unavailable
0 0 0 1 0 1

The book for Penfield: Andrew Huntington (1a), Mike Larkin (3g), Dan Maring (1g-1a), Matt Condon (2g-1a), Matt Springer (1g-2a), Alex Miles (3g), Matt Bilak (3g-2a), Jonathan Spaan (1a), Fred Crilly (1g), Mitch Standera (1a), Goaltending: Nick Presicci 2s/0ga = 100% (4 mins), Keith Keehn 9s/1ga = 90% (44 mins)

The book for West Seneca East: Zach Haun (1g). In the cage, Zack Palkowski finished with 8 saves and 12 goals against. Mike Goulding played four minutes and saw two goals against.


  -- Penfield scored the first twelve goals to send the game to running time before West Seneca East put their lone point on the board. With 11:15 remaining in the final quarter, Mike Larkin scored his first goal to put the game into running time.

The lone West Seneca East goal was scored (unassisted) by Zach Haun. Haun finished the game with 2 shots and 2 ground balls. Attackman Adam Dimillo finished with a team leading three ground balls.

For Penfield, Matt Bilak led scoring with 3g-2a. Alex Miles and Mike Larkin each added 3g as well. Penfield had ten different players make the score book and 9/14 goals were assisted. The Patriots won the ground ball battle 28-13. Leading for Penfield was midfield face-off man Connor Russell with eight ground balls. Russell finished the game at 73% at the face-off draw (8/11).

In the cage, Keith Keehn played 44 minutes and finished with 9 saves and 1 goal against. Nick Presicci finished the game and recorded two saves. For West Seneca East, Zack Palkowski finished with eight saves and 44 minutes. Mike Goulding finished the game but did not record a save. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.