Tuesday: On to the Championships


 The Whipple brothers will be busy on Friday night as Craig Whipple's Irondequoit team won their semi final over top seeded Canandaigua and Andrew's Pittsford Panthers won their semi final game over Penfield. Webster Thomas returns to the finals with their win over Brighton and Fairport returns after beating R-H. In Class C, Penn Yan beat Geneva and Aquinas beat Bloomfield-Honeoye.

quick links

Irondequoit 11 - Canandaigua 10  

The book for Canandaigua: Bryan Peck (1a), Deven Alves (2g-1a), Gannon Osborn (2a), Brandon Thomson (2g-2a), Adam Knapton (3g-1a), Tom LaCrosse (3g-1a), Goaltending: Nick King 10s/11ga (51 mins)

The book for Irondequoit: Mike Utz (2g), Ian Brooks (1g), Gunnar Miller (2a), Nick Doktor (3g), Greg Coholan (4g-2a), Emmy Poccia (1g), Goaltending: Tyler Nash 12s/10ga = 55% (51 mins).

 -- special report Fifth seeded Irondequoit defeated first seeded Canandaigua 11-10 in the first overtime period. Nick Doktor scored the winning goal with an assist from Gunnar Miller with 0:55 remaining in the first overtime.

Irondequoit's success stemmed from a strong defense, a key face-off man in Justin Buonomo and an overall desire to secure the victory. They played the entire game with a drive to win that shone through all aspects of their play. Irondequoit led for over three quarters with Canandaigua taking the lead late in fourth and forcing the Eagles to come back. Irondequoit scored the final two goals of regulation to send the game into overtime.

Irondequoit started off strong and controlled the first half. The Eagles scored the opening two goals with drives from behind the cage, both goals resulted in iron-caunassisted scoring by Greg Coholan and then Doktor. With 6:34 left in the first quarter the Eagles led 2-0. Canandaigua scored their opening goal during an extra-man offense opportunity. Tom LaCrosse scored with an outside shot and a feed from Brandon Thomson. Irondequoit scored the final goal of the quarter when attackman Coholan found himself lined up against a short stick near the top of the restraining box. He drove from the top and scored with only 0:09 remaining in the quarter. The Eagles led 3-1 after the first quarter.

Canandaigua scored their second goal in another unsettled situation. Deven Alves intercepted the ball on an Irondequoit clear and finished in the back of the net. Irondequoit came back with two more goals. The fist came with a sweep from the top of box by Mike Utz with 7:37 remaining in the half. Irondequoit scored their next goal only 0:08 later with a face-off fast-break. Buonomo picked up his own ground ball and found Coholan open down field. Coholan then fed the ball to Emmy Poccia for the goal. Buonomo finished the game with 15/25 (60%), including picking up nine of his own ground balls. He only lost 10 face-offs and five of them were technical losses. Irondequoit led 5-2 with 7:29 remaining in the first half. The Braves scored their next goal when LaCrosse found Adam Knapton cutting to the crease for the goal. The next Irondequoit goal began with a save by goalie Tyler Nash. Nash saved a shot by Canandaigua midfielder Matt Scharr and immediately outlet the pass to Miller. Miller took the ball up the field and found Doktor open for the goal. The final goal of the half was scored with only 0:12 remaining. Alves cut from behind the cage; however, instead of shooting Alves fed the ball to Thomson for the goal. Irondequoit held the 6-4 lead after two iron-caquarters.

Canandaigua came out strong in the third quarter. The Braves scored the first three goals of the quarter to move from being down to goals to their first lead of the contest. Canandaigua's first goal was scored with 5:57 remaining in the third quarter when Gannon Osborn fed the ball from behind the cage to Knapton. Approximately one minute later LaCrosse scored an unassisted with a drive from the top of the box. The Braves tied the game for the first time since 0-0 with 4:45 remaining in the third quarter. Canandaigua continued with their first lead of the game with a goal at 2:42 by Alves (assisted by Thomson). The Eagles came back only 0:33 later to re-tie the score. This was one of the concrete examples of the Eagles desire to win. Coholan took the ball from behind the cage and found Utz open for the goal. The Eagles took the ball and forced it into the goal to both stop the bleeding and turn the game around. Irondequoit scored again before the end of the quarter with a drive by Coholan from behind the cage. The Eagles held the 8-7 lead going into the final quarter.

In the fourth quarter, much like the third quarter, the Braves came out early and Irondequoit step up late in fourth when the game was on the line. Canandaigua scored the first three goals to tie the game for the third time and take the two goal lead with 5:16 remaining. All three Braves' goals were scored during fast-break situations. iron-caThe second and third goals were scored with multiple cross-crease passes to open attackman with Nash on the other side of the cage. As the game started to come down to a close, the Eagles were not ready to give up. With 4:24 remaining they brought the game to within one goal. Ian Brooks drove from the top of the restraining line for the goal. The tying goal was scored by Coholan. Coholan took the ball down the left side of the field and waited for his opportunity. He drove in and was turned back by his defenseman; however after a step backwards he took a side-arm shot that went past King for the tying goal. There were no shots by either team before time expired. The Braves had the ball and drove to the cage as time was expiring, however they could not finish before the clock ran out.

In overtime, Buonomo won the face-off after picking up his own ground ball. The Eagles called a timeout and had the first shot at the cage. After a couple missed shots by Coholan, the Braves had their shot at the cage. The Braves cleared the ball and called a time-out to set up. The Braves, however, could not capitalize. Irondequoit took the ball back down and after another missed shot took their fourth drive at the cage. Miller took the ball down the left side and found Doktor open near the crease. Doktor finished his cut across the crease and finished into the back of the net to cement their spot in the finals.

Both goalies played exceeding well between the pipes. King finished with 10 saves for Canandaigua and Nash finished with 12 saves for Irondequoit. Irondequoit led in the ground ball battle 31-24. Buonomo led in ground balls with eleven for the Eagles with Coholan (4) and Brooks (3) adding to the team tally. Osborn led in ground balls for Canandaigua with seven (Adam Knapton and Bryan Peck finished with three each).

The Braves end their season at 16-2 having lost only this game and one against Webster Thomas earlier in the season.

Irondequoit heads back to the Class B finals. Last year, they lost to the Braves in the finals, but this year they will take on second seeded Webster Thomas who won a close game on May 20th (11-8). The Eagles have improved greatly in their last two games and will be ready on Friday at 5:30 on the Campus of St. John Fisher College. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Thomas 18 - Brighton 11  

The book for Thomas: John Hart (1a), Kenny Tomeno (3g-1a), Brad Hutton (2g-1a), Jack Hinderland (6g-1a), Kyle Rothfuss (5g-1a), JT Hauck (2g-1a), Goaltending: Don Grace 9s/11ga (47 mins), Zack Mayer 1s/0ga = 100% (1 mins)

The book for Brighton: Nick Wolak (1g-1a), Steven Cregan (3g-1a), David Hill (1g), Kurt Minges (1g-1a), CJ Wool (4g), Dan Pierce (1g), Goaltending: Jordan Carey 8s/18ga (48 mins).

  --  special report Second seeded Thomas defeated third seeded Brighton 18-11. Although the Barons played strong in the first half, the Titans led (or tied) for the entire game. Thomas won the ground ball battle 45-42 and outshot the Barons 44-41 (with 26-21 on cage). Brighton did excel in some aspects of the game. At the face-off draw Max Brauer finished 21/32 with a team leading eleven ground balls. Brauer won the first seven face-offs of the game spanning two quarters and finished the first half 12/16 before Thomas made a change at the draw.

Thomas' JT Hauck scored the first goal of the game with a straight drive after a fast-break. Only 0:11 later Brighton scored after a face-off fast-break. CJ Wool picked up the ground ball and scored his own goal. The Barons scored four of their first five goals during fast-break situations. Thomas added two more unassisted goals (Jack Hinderland and Kenny Tomeno). Hinderland finished with 6g-1a to lead the Titans. Brighton scored with 0:57 remaining in the first quarter to keep the game close. Steven Cregan (who finished with 3g-1a) drove from the outside for the only non-fast-break goal for the Barons in thom-ironthe first half. The Titans led 3-2 after the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Thomas scored the first four goals to take the 7-2 lead. Thomas scored on their first four shots of the quarter. The first two were scored with feeds to the crease from Hauck to Brad Hutton and Hutton to Kyle Rothfuss. Brighton came back in the final six minutes of the quarter adding three goals of their own to bring the game back within two goals. Each of the three goals were scored during fast-breaks. The first was scored by Kurt Minges (assisted by Cregan), the second by long stick Dan Pierce and the third by Cregan (unassisted). In the first half, Brighton goalie Jordan Carey finished with six saves and seven goals against. In the second half Carey only added two saves to his game tally. The Barons had brought the game within two but that was the closest they got. Thomas led 7-5 at halftime.

Thomas, much like in the second quarter, scored the first five goals of the third quarter to increase their lead to 12-5. Thomas kept up the pressure for the remainder of the game. At their most the Titans led by eight goals. In the cage for Thomas, Don Grace played the majority of the game. Grace finished the first half with only one save and added eight more saves in the second half. Zach Mayer played the final forty seconds in the cage and recorded one save. Thomas' Tomeno led in ground balls with 12. Goalie Don Grace finished with six ground balls.

Thomas now moves on to the Championship round (for the second year in a row), and will play Irondequoit who beat top seeded Canandaigua in overtime tonight. In their last meeting, on May 20th, the Titan won a close 11-8, but the Eagles have played stellar lacrosse in their two games since and are looking for an upset. The game will take place at St. John Fisher College on Friday at 5:30. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.



Aquinas 18 - Bloomfield-Honeoye 9  

The book for Aquinas: Jake Vogl (2g-1a), Klay Heston (6g-2a), Austin Gorman (2g-4a), Bernard Gauthier (1g), Anthony Bianchi (4g-1a), Dave Mason (2g), Andrew Oberst (1g), Goaltending: Erich Wischmeyer 6s/7ga (44 mins), Tom Mscichowski 2s/2ga = 50% (4 mins)

The book for Bloomfield-Honeoye: Zach Hammond (3g-1a), Zach Blain (1g-1a), Luke Anderson (1g-1a), Luke Blain (1g), Sean Beaney (1g-2a), Stewart Hayes (1g), Jake Webber (1g), Goaltending: Jay Nichols 10s/17ga (44 mins), Aaron Stevens 2s/1ga = 67% (4 mins).

  --  Aquinas wasted no time, scoring seven goals in the first quarter while holding Bloomfield-Honeoye to two on their way to an 18-9 victory at Waterloo High School in the first game of the Class C semi finals.

Aquinas added four more goals in the second quarter and led at half time 11-3. The Pride came back in the second half with six goals while the Irish scored seven.

Junior attackman, Klay Heston led the offensive for the 'Lil Irish with six goals and two assists, while senior attackman, Austin Gorman (6g-2a) and senior midfielder Anthony Bianchi (4g-1a) followed close behind. Seven Aquinas players made the offensive book. Gorman, who leads the "Lil Irish in goals (51) and assists (48) is one shy of the century mark for points this season and had 307 career points thus far in his four years at Varsity.

Leading the offense for the Pride were junior attackman Zach Hammond with three goals and one assist and senior middie Sean Beaney with one goal and two assists. Defenseman Zach Blain and senior attackman Luke Anderson each added one goal and one assist for Bloomfield-Honeoye.

Jay Nichols played for 44 minutes and recorded 10 saves and Aaron Stevens added another two saves for the Pride who end their season at 15-4.

Sophomores Erich Wischmeyer and Tom Mscichowski combined for nine saves for Aquinas (15-3) who will play in the championship game against second seeded Penn Yan (11-8) on Friday at 3:30 on the campus of St. John Fisher College. return to top



Penn Yan 7 - Geneva 4  

The book for Penn Yan: Adam Stork (2a), Nate Nichols (3g), Adam Trombley (2g), Dylan Yonts (1g-2a), Bradley Voigt (1g), Goaltending: Cody Richardson 5s/4ga = 56% (48 mins)

The book for Geneva: Frank Triana (2g-1a), Patrick Roll (1g), Will Brennan (1a), Sean Cunningham (1g), Goaltending: Ross Dinan 9s/7ga = 56% (48 mins).

 --  Second seeded Penn Yan was a 7-4 semi final winner over third seeded Geneva in the second Class C game at Waterloo tonight.

The Panthers jumped out with two goals in the first three minutes of the game and before the Mustangs even had an offensive possession. By the end of the first quarter it was Geneva, up 3-2 and they then extended their lead to 4-2 just three minutes into the second quarter. That, however, was the end of the scoring for Geneva, as the Mustang defense shut out the Panthers for the remainder of the game while the Mustang offense scored five goals over the next thirty-three minutes.

Geneva ends it's 2010 campaign at 15-4. Penn Yan advances to the finals where they hope to win their thirteenth straight Section Five Title. They will take on the top seeded team from Aquinas who are 15-3. In their last meeting (on April 29th) the Mustangs won 14-6, but the 'Lil Irish have not lost a game since and are on a seven game winning streak. The Class C final will be played at 3:30 on Friday at St. John Fisher College. return to top


Fairport 15 - Rush-Henrietta 9  

The book for Fairport: James Cunningham (2g), Chris Button (1g-1a), Andrew Hays (2a), Brendan Saylor (8g-2a), Martin Manilla (3g), James Manilla (1g-4a), Goaltending: Blaze Riorden 8s/4ga = 67% (48 mins)

The book for Rush-Henrietta: Jake Alvarez (3g), Torry Whitcher (1g-2a), Chauncey Scissum (1g), Brad Sauln (1a), Kenny Pattridge (1g), Chris Aycock (3g-1a), Goaltending: Corey Spuck 11s/15ga (48 mins).

  --  Senior attackman Brendan Saylor (8g-2a) figured in on ten of fifteen goals for top seeded Fairport as they beat Rush-Henrietta (#4) in the first Class A semi final game at Spencerport High School tonight.

The Red Raiders took a 5-1 lead in the first quarter with Saylor scoring the first goal just sixteen seconds into the game. He scored two more before the quarter ended.

The second and third quarters were even with each team scoring three in the second quarter and each team scoring four in the third quarter. In the last quarter Fairport took a 3-1 advantage.

Senior attackman Martin Manilla scored four goals and assisted on at least three others and long stick middie, James Cunningham added two goals for Fairport.

Leading the offensive book for the Royal Comets were Chris Aycock (3g-1a), Jake Alvarez (3g) and Torry Whitcher (1g-2a). Alvarez and Aycock finish the season ties for goals with 43 each. Alvarez led the team with 76 points and a three year total of 122. Rush-Henrietta ends their season at 9-9.

Fairport moves into the championship round and will take on Pittsford (#2) at 7:30 on Friday night at St. John Fisher College. The Red Raiders lost in the finals last year when Thomas scored the winning goal in overtime. The Fairport played Pittsford on May 18th, the Red Raiders won a 13-5 victory. Pittsford has not lost since and will look for a much different outcome. return to top


Pittsford 18 - Penfield 4  

The book for Pittsford: Ryan Sullivan (1a), TJ Iuppa (4g-3a), Thomas Rodenhouse (1g-1a), Kevin Sanna (1a), Jack Lauroesch (2g), Justin McLiverty (1a), Alex Kober (3g), Matt Gold (1g), James Purpura (6g-1a), Tyler Aycock (1g), Steven Troup (1a), Goaltending: Alex Howell 4s/3ga = 57% (36 mins), Conor Quinn 1s/1ga = 50% (12 mins)

The book for Penfield: Connor Russell (1a), Tucker Nelson (1g), Will Schoeneck (1g), Alex Miles (2g), Goaltending: Jamie Solomon 4s/18ga (48 mins).

  -- Second seeded Pittsford easily defeated third seeded Penfield 18-4. The Panthers scored ten goals before the Patriots added their first, holding the Patriots scoreless for the first 17:04. Penfield's first goal was scored by Will Schoeneck with an assist from face-off midfielder Connor Russell. Russell finished at 54% at the draw (13/24) and with a team leading seven ground balls (midfielder Aaron Pulinski finished with five ground balls for the Patriots).

Pittsford took the twelve goal lead with 11:01 remaining in the third quarter. The Patriots added one more goal in the third and one goal in the fourth quarters. Tucker Nelson and Alex Miles both scored unassisted goals for Penfield. For Pittsford, three defenseman added assists during fast-break clears. Ryan Sullivan, Kevin Sanna and Justin McLiverty each added one assist during the game. For Pittsford Sanna and Joe Dupra led with five ground balls each. Alex Proper, Tyler Aycock, James Burke and Jack Lauroesch each added four ground balls to the Panther tally. The Panthers won the ground ball battle 41-23.

In the cage, Jamie Solomon played the entire game for Penfield and finished with four saves. For Pittsford, Alex Howell played the first three quarters and accumulated four saves. Conor Quinn played the fourth quarter and had one save and one goal against.

Penfield finished their season with a record of 11-7. Pittsford advances to the Championship game, their first since 2000. The Panther will take on top seeded Fairport at 7:30 at St. John Fisher College. return to top

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.