Thursday: Class B Quarters


The brackets feel as seed in Class B except for the Eagles from Irondequoit (#5), who defeated McQuaid Jesuit (#4), 14-9. Canandaigua beat Spencerport 23-2, Brighton beat Victor 14-11 and Thomas defeated HFL, 16-4.

quick links

Brighton 14 - Victor 11  

The book for Brighton: Nick Wolak (6g-2a), Matt Schuster (1g), Steven Cregan (1g-3a), Brackett Bourne (4g-1a), Kurt Minges (1g-1a), CJ Wool (1g), Goaltending: Jordan Carey 10s/11ga (48 mins)

The book for Victor: Max Hill (1a), Pat D`Angelo (3g), John Maloney (2g-1a), Kyle Benwitz (1g), Trevor O`Shea (3g-2a), Dale Mattice (2g), Goaltending: Steve Basile 16s/14ga = 53% (48 mins).

  --  Victor started off strong, however Nick Wolak started a comeback late in the second quarter that resulted in Brighton scoring seven out of eight straight goals spanning the second and third quarters (Wolak scored four of the seven goals). Brighton defeated Victor 14-11 to move on to face Thomas in the semifinals. Victor's first half play was to par with the Barons, but the Blue Devils could not hold off a third quarter rally by Brighton.

Brighton's CJ Wool scored the first goal of the game only 0:13 into play. Face-off Max Brauer won the face-off with Steven Cregan picking up the ground ball. Cregan took the ball up the field and found Wool open. bri-vicWool dodged his man on goal line extended and scored for the Barons. That goal was the only goal (or assist) for Wool all night. Victor did not give up and scored the next two goals. Pat D'Angelo scored with a drive from the left side of the field with 9:02 remaining in the quarter. For their second goal, Trevor O'Shea passed the ball to Kyle Benwitz from behind the cage to on the crease. Victor took their first lead with 8:00 remaining in the first quarter.

Victor held on to the lead (or a tie) for the next 24:29 before Brighton took the lead with 7:31 remaining in the third quarter. The next Brighton goal (to tie the game at 2-2) began with a defensive strip by Dan Pierce. Pierce knocked down the ball and Wolak picked it up. Wolak then ran up the field and found Kurt Minges open on the fast-break. Victor scored the next goal with a drive from the top of the field by Dale Mattice. Not to be undone, the Barons tied the score yet again. Wolak looked to drive from the top, however the Blue Devils were in a zone and two Victor players jumped on him. Wolak turned back and found Brackett Bourne, who had stepped into the void left by the corner defender. Bourne fired into the back of the net for his first of four goals. The final goal of the quarter was scored with only 0:03 remaining. The Blue Devils were working a clear with time expiring and with 0:10 left they crossed the midfield line. O'Shea got the ball at goal line extended with 0:05 remaining; however, instead of shooting, O'Shea found John Maloney open up from the crease for the goal. Victor held the 4-3 lead after the first quarter.

bri-vicIn the second quarter, Victor kept up the pressure. The Blue Devils extended their lead to three goals by scoring the first two goals of the quarter. Both goals were scored less than one minute into the quarter. The first was scored when O'Shea cut from behind and with an impressive cut back, beat his defenseman on the inside for the goal. O'Shea had a number of impressive dodges in the game and kept his team in the game. With 11:05 remaining in the half, the Blue Devil's Maloney drove from left and found D'Angelo open near the middle of the field for the goal. Brighton's Bourne scored the next goal during a man-up attempt (assisted by Minges). The Barons were 3/4 at extra-man offense and extra-man played a key role in their momentum during the third quarter. Victor scored the next goal to maintain the three goal lead. The Victor goal was scored during man-up with a feed from behind the cage by Max Hill to Maloney. With 6:32 remaining in the second quarter the Blue Devils held a three goal lead; however, the Barons were just starting their seven (out of eight) goal stretch. Brighton's Wolak scored the next three goals (two unassisted and one assisted by Bourne). The first two goals were scored before the half expired. At this point, Victor still led 7-6 at halftime.

Wolak's third straight goal was scored with 8:33 remaining in the third quarter with a dodge. The Barons were now tied at 7-7. Brighton scored their go-ahead goal during man-up with a goal by Bourne. Bourne scored during an open offense with a feed from Cregan. Victor tried to keep the game close, tying the game at 8-8 with a goal by O'Shea. O'Shea, like many of his drives, started behind the cage. Brighton's second go-ahead goal was scored once again during man-up. Cregan passed the ball to bri-vicWolak during an open offense for the goal. The Barons added two more insurance goals before the end of the quarter. A feed from behind by Cregan to Bourne and a dodge from the top by Matt Schuster rounded out the Baron scoring. The Barons held an 11-8 lead going into the fourth quarter.

In the fourth quarter, every time the Blue Devils attempted to come back the Barons squashed their hopes with a goal of their own. Overall there were three goals by each team alternating back and forth. The fourth quarter started off on a high note for Victor. Due to a late penalty, the Blue Devils started with the ball (however they were man-down). D'Angelo started with the ball on their defensive side of the field. He took the ball all the way down to nearly the crease before shooting and finding the back of the net. Brighton came back with their goal when Cregan passed towards the crease; however a deflection caused the ball to go into the back of the net. Victor tried again to decrease the Baron lead with a fast-break goal by Mattice only 0:32 later. However, that was short lived as well when Wolak drove from the top and put a high bounce shot over the shoulder of goalie Steve Basile. With 4:03 remaining, Victor scored their final goal with another fast-break. This was scored by O'Shea. Wolak scored his final goal with another bounce shot against Basile.

In the cage for Victor, Basile played exceedingly well. Basile had a number of strong saves and kept his team in the game. Basile played the entire game and finished with 16 saves. Basile, only a junior, is poised to have another strong year next season for the Victor. In the cage for Brighton, Jordan Carey finished with 10 saves. At the face-off draw, Max Brauer finished at 54% for the Barons. Brauer was 65% at non-technical face-off's (losing five technical and winning none). Brauer also led his team in ground balls with eight. Defenseman Pierce also had eight with Cregan adding five and defenseman David Hill adding four. For Victor, defenseman Alex Davis led with eight and attackman D'Angelo added five.

Victor ends their season at 8-9 while the second seeded Barons move on to the semi final round where they will play Webster Thomas at Aquinas on Tuesday (7:00 PM). return

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Canandaigua 23 - Spencerport 2  

The book for Canandaigua: Brandon Thomson (1g-1a), Adam Knapton (5g-1a), Deven Alves (2g-3a), Tom LaCrosse (1g), Bryan Peck (2g-1a), Matt Scharr (1g-2a), Mark Greer (1g-2a), Collin Carson (1g), Parker Weeks (1a), Jordan Reals (3g-4a), Nic Wood (3g-1a), Evan Helming (3g), Goaltending: Nick King 0s/0ga (8 mins), Corey Griffin 5s/2ga = 71% (40 mins)

The book for Spencerport: Marcus Palvino (1g), Matt Kaser (1a), Austin Hintz (1g), Nick Fischer (1a), Goaltending: Tyler Schweikert 8s/23ga (48 mins).

  --  It was the top seeded Canandaigua Braves against the eight seeded Spencerport Rangers in the Class B quarter final game which the Braves won 23-2.

Canandaigua scored nine unanswered goals in the first quarter and added seven more before the half and played the second half in running time. Twelve different players made the offensive book, led by Adam Knapton with 5g-1a and Jordan Reals (3g-4a). Starting goalie, Nick King played the first eight minutes, seeing no shots before junior Corey Griffin took over, making five saves (2ga) in the final forty minutes.

Marcus Palvino and Matt Kaser each had one goal and Matt Kaser and Nick Fischer each had an assist for the Rangers who end their season at 9-9.

The game was dedicated to Mike Pane. Mike is a 2004 graduate of Canandaigua Academy and Canandaigua Lacrosse and played at Binghamton University. He was an assistant varsity coach for the Braves last year for their state championship run and this year was the head JV coach at Gananda. Mike underwent brain surgery on Tuesday to remove a tumor.

At Mike Pane Night, Canandaigua collected money to help the Pane family with the huge expenses they are about to face. Donations were collected from the lacrosse fans at the game and the concession stand sales were donated as well.

Donations by credit card can be made by clicking on Mike Pane Fund.

Canandaigua now moved into the semi final round, where they will play Irondequoit at Aquinas (5:00 PM) on Tuesday.return


Irondequoit 14 - McQuaid Jesuit 9  

The book for McQuaid Jesuit: Alex Pochodylo (1g), Chris Barilla (3g), Mike Crawford (2g-1a), Ryan Williams (1g), James Sturnick (1g-1a), Jack Pomeroy (1a), Tim Caton (1a), Duncan Ayer (1a), Max Phelps (1g), Goaltending: Pat Sheridan 7s/14ga (48 mins)

The book for Irondequoit: Nick Doktor (3g-1a), Erik Kleehammer (1g), Ian Brooks (1g), Greg Coholan (5g-4a), Matt Wolfe (1g-2a), Emmy Poccia (3g), Goaltending: Tyler Nash 12s/6ga = 67% (43 mins), Eric Fischer 2s/3ga (5 mins).

  --  Irondequoit (#5) went right to work, scoring two goals in the first thirty-nine seconds of the game and went on to beat McQuaid Jesuit (#4) 14-9 this afternoon in a Class B quarter final match at MCC.

Junior midfielder Greg Coholan (5g-4a) scored the first Irondequoit goal just 0:17 into the game as he picked up a loose ball in front of the cage and popped it over the head of Pat Sheridan in the Knight goal. On the next face off sophomore attackman Nick Doktor (3g-1a) got the ball behind the cage and drove left, popping back to score the second goal. A minute and a half later, McQuaid scored on their first trip to their offensive end when sophomore defenseman Tim Caton threw the ball to senior attackman Mike Crawford put it past Irondequoit goalie, Tyler Nash.

iron-mcqThe Eagles scored the next three in a row, starting from the ensuing face off when Doktor ran from the top of the box, running right and turned hard left before winning his one-on-one. Twenty-two seconds later Coholan, behind the cage, found Matt Wolfe in front for the goal. After a couple of transitions, Irondequoit took almost a full minute off the clock before Coholan cut from top center to the crease where Wolfe had the ball waiting for him. At 2:57 McQuaid broke an Irondequoit clear and David Haseley pass the ball from the top of the box to junior middie Alex Pochodylo on the high crease. That ended the scoring in the first quarter with the Eagles up 5-2 but Irondequoit was hit with a one minute slashing call at the buzzer.

The Knights took possession at the top of the second and moved the ball around the horn a couple of times before Ryan Williams scored in man up with a feed from senior middie Jack Pomeroy. While Irondequoit had the vast majority of ball time in the first quarter, McQuaid came back in the second and possessed the ball in the offensive end almost half the time. iron-mcqWhile they scored two goals in the quarter, Irondequoit scored five, starting with one at 9:19. The Eagle defense threw a long ball down field that was bobbled at midfield and rolled to the attack where Eric Kleehammer scooped it up and played one-on-one with Sheridan. There was almost six minutes without scoring, until junior attackman Chris Barilla took the ball behind on a mismatched clear out and after beating his man and the sliding defenseman, bounced the ball past Nash.

The Eagles then scored the next four goals, all in a span of less than two and a half minutes. Coholan drove the alley and turned back hard to find senior middie Ian Brooks open in front. Doktor drove from the back of the cage and faked high and shot low for the second goal. Coholan made the crease cut next and was fed by Wolfe and at 0:24 Coholan scored an unassisted goal with the drive from top right. The half ended with Irondequoit very much in control and ahead, 10-4.

Patience and confidence was the name of the game for the Eagles. Their offense took the time to set up classic cuts and the feeders were ready and unmolested as they made pin-point passes to the cutters. The Knights offense, by comparison was generally single dimensional trying to find iron-mcqmismatches upon which to capitalize, but coming up short most of the time. There is no doubt that the first two goal of the game took the wind out of the Knight sails, and the Eagles continued to add pressure to the point where McQuaid lost confidence in their generally excellent play during the season. Said one spectator, "This was not the same team that played Pittsford a few weeks ago."

The Eagles tacked on two unanswered goals in the third quarter. Coholan scored his fifth of the game on an end-to-end clear and sophomore midfielder Gunnar Miller scored in man up with a pass from Coholan. The Eagles led 12-4 after three quarters.

McQuaid came back with a bit more enthusiasm in the last quarter, but seemed resigned to the impending loss. The Knights scored in man up (Barilla from James Sturnick from the outside). Irondequoit came right back with a goal by junior attackman Emmy Poccia from Doktor after McQuaid goalie, Pat Sheridan, obviously frustrated and trying to get some enthusiasm going for his Knights had taken the ball up field on a clear. When he was unchallenged he took the ball to the top of the box and fired a shot at Nash who caught the ball and quickly sent the clearing pass up field before Sheridan could get back in the cage. The Knights scored at 9:38 on a feed by Crawford to Barilla for a low shot from the right. The Eagles returned with another goal by Poccia (from Coholan). McQuaid scored another in man up (Barilla) and after Irondequoit pulled Nash for sophomore Eric Fischer, the Knights scored at 0:52 (Sturnick from Duncan Ayer) and at 0:33 (Max Phelps unassisted).

McQuaid end their excellent season at 12-5. Irondequoit (10-7) move on to the semi finals and will face top seeded Canandaigua (16-1) on Tuesday at Aquinas (5:00 PM). return


Thomas 16 - HFL 4  

The book for Thomas: Kenny Tomeno (4g-3a), Kyle Rothfuss (4g-1a), Jack Hinderland (2g-1a), John Zawacki (2g), JT Hauck (2g), Brad Hutton (3a), Ben Morrill (1g), John Hart (1g), Goaltending: Don Grace 11s/4ga = 73% (45 mins), Zack Mayer 1s/0ga = 100% (3 mins)

The book for HFL: Jason Breau (1g-1a), Nick Weston (1g-1a), Eric Boike (1g), Drew Tallon (1g), Goaltending: Jay Tallon 8s/16ga (48 mins).

  --  Webster Thomas (#2) defeated Honeoye Falls-Lima (#7) with a score of 16-4 this afternoon at Thomas.

Eight different players scored points for the Titans who led 7-2 after the first quarter and 9-3 at the half time break. Leading the Titan scoring were Kenny Tomeno (4g-3a), Kyle Rothfuss (4g-1a) and Jack Hinderland (2g-1a). Don Grace played the majority of the game in the cage for Thomas, making 11s/4ga.

Jason Breau and Nick Weston each had 1g-1a for the Cougars who end their season at 10-8. Thomas makes the semi final round and will play Brighton at Aquinas on Tuesday (7:00 PM). return