Saturday: Pittsford, Fairport and Marcus Whitman win today


Pittsford played a close game with Brighton for a while, but took control in the fourth quarter and won 13-8 in the cold a windy late afternoon as Pittsford celebrated lacrosse with an all day lacrosse event at Mendon. Brighton was the last undefeated team in Section Five. Fairport took an early lead and ended with a 13-2 win over visiting Penn Yan. In an exciting game for Marcus Whitman, the Wildcats won their first ever Varsity game, in overtime, as they defeated Waterloo 11-10.

quick links

Fairport 13 - Penn Yan 2  

The book for Fairport: James Manilla (2g-1a), Stephen Danylyshyn (1g), Chris Button (1a), Brendan Saylor (3g-1a), Tim Modesti (1g), Derek DeJoe (2g-1a), Martin Manilla (1g-3a), Andrew Hays (3g), Goaltending: Kyle Bowerman 8s/2ga = 80% (43 mins), Jake Newkirk 0s/0ga (5 mins)

The book for Penn Yan: Adam Stork (1g-1a), Bradley Voigt (1g), Goaltending: Cody Richardson 7s/9ga (36 mins), Brandon Maciejewski 0s/4ga (12 mins).

  -- special reportThe game began close, however Fairport added six goals in the second quarter to defeat Penn Yan 13-2. The Red Raiders scored nine goals before the Mustangs got on the scoreboard with 3:11 remaining in the third quarter (32:49 into the game). Penn Yan's first goal was scored on a fast-break with Adam Stork finding Bradley Voigt open for the goal. The second Mustang goal was scored after a broken clear with Stork scoring unassisted with 9:22 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The game started off slowly with the first quarter remaining scoreless until the final seconds. Fairport controlled the ball most of the first quarter. Penn Yan didn't get the ball into their offensive side of the field until 8:23 remaining and did not get off their first shot until their second possession at 6:49 remaining. The Mustangs only took two shots in the entire first quarter (missing the cage on both). Fairport, on the other hand, took eight shots in the first quarter with four on cage. The opening goal of the game's play fpt-pybegan with a missed pass to Chris Button. Button couldn't control the pass and it went off towards the sideline. Button continued with the ball and eventually came up with the ground ball. Button drove around behind the cage and with 0:02 remaining on the clock passed it over the top of the cage to Martin Manilla, who was waiting about 10 yards from the goal, dead center. Manilla fired it into the back of the net to take the early 1-0 lead after the first quarter.

The second quarter was where the Red Raiders shined. Fairport added their second goal of the game with a drive by Manilla. Manilla drove from the back left of the cage; however, instead of shooting he passed the ball across the crease to Brendan Saylor for the goal. This was the first of three opportunities where Manilla had access to a shot but instead looked to feed instead. The unselfish team play of the Red Raiders was prevalent throughout the contest. Fairport continued their pressure adding two more goals, both in extra-man offense. The next Fairport goal was scored after an attempted interception by Penn Yan goalie Cody Richardson. Richardson knocked down a cross crease pass; however after failing to control the ball, Fairport's James Manilla capitalized and put the ball into the back of the net. The last two goals for Fairport were both scored by Andrew Hays on the exact same drive. Hays took his defenseman out to the top of the box and drove straight down the center for the goal. Fairport led 7-0 at the end of the first half.

Fairport's two goals of the third quarter were both assisted by Martin Manilla. Both goals could have been scored by Manilla, fpt-pyhowever he looked to feed on both of them. The first was a cross crease pass to Hays and the second was a cross-crease pass to Saylor. Fairport led 9-0 before the Mustangs scored. The third quarter ended 9-1. In the fourth quarter, Fairport added two goals in the first minute. James Manilla scored with a feed from Derek DeJoe. Then only 0:28 later, DeJoe scored with his a feed from James Manilla. Penn Yan added their second goal before Fairport added two more. Face-off man Steven Danylyshyn scored his only goal of the game unassisted. The final goal of the game was another goal from DeJoe.

The Red Raiders led the ground ball battle 37-19. Face-off man Danylyshyn led the team with nine ground balls. Danylyshyn was key at the face-off winning 11/12; the only loss coming on a technical loss due to a wing man error. The Red Raiders were able to control the ball so much in part to Danylyshyn's success. Another factor that helped Fairport control the ball was their rides. Fairport held the Mustangs to 55% clearing attempts. Defenseman Baird Wilber and midfielder Stork both had four ground balls to lead Penn Yan.

In the cage, Penn Yan's Cody Richardson played the first three quarters and finished with seven saves. Brandon Maciejewski played the final quarter but not record a save. For Fairport, Kyle Bowerman played the majority of the game and finished with eight saves. Fairport's back-up goalie came in with five minutes remaining but did not face a shot on cage. return

 fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Pittsford 13 - Brighton 8  

The book for Pittsford: TJ Iuppa (2g-2a), Thomas Rodenhouse (1g), Jack Lauroesch (4g), Justin McLiverty (1a), Corey Parke (1g), Alex Kober (2g-1a), James Purpura (3g-1a), Goaltending: Alex Howell 5s/8ga (48 mins)

The book for Brighton: Nick Wolak (1g-1a), Steven Cregan (3g-2a), Brackett Bourne (1g), Kurt Minges (1a), Justin Ryan (1g), CJ Wool (2g), Goaltending: Jordan Carey 12s/13ga (48 mins).

  -- special report Pittsford used two separate five goal streaks to defeat Brighton 13-8. The Barons, even in the loss, demonstrated that they are capable of keeping with the top echelon teams in Section Five. The Barons were the last undefeated team in Section Five and are now 12-1.

The first quarter was a back and forth battle. The Barons struck first with a fast-break goal when Steven Cregan brought the ball up the field and found Justin Ryan open for the early 1-0 lead. Less than a minute later the Panthers came back with a goal of their own. Corey Parke took the ball out to the left side and drove in for the goal. Brighton came back only 0:10 later to take the lead once again.
Wolak picked up the ground ball on the face-off and looked to Cregan up field. Wolak then cut to the top of the box and got the pitt-briball back from Cregan and took a hard outside shot to give the Barons back the lead. Again it took less than a minute for the Panthers to tie the score. Brighton won the ensuing face-off, however the Panthers stripped the ball before they had a chance to go to the cage. The clear resulted in an outside shot by TJ Iuppa and a goal. The score was tied for the second time at 2-2. Brighton scored their third goal with another fast-break, this time Cregan scored himself without an assist. It took two minutes for Pittsford to tie the score this time. The goal came with a drive from Jack Lauroesch from the top of the restraining box. The score was tied at 3-3 with 3:59 remaining in the first quarter. Lauroesch's goal was the first of a five goal steak for the Panthers, spanning both the first and second quarters. The final two goals of the quarter came from James Purpura. Purpura scored his first goal during yet another fast-break situation (with an assist from defenseman Justin McLiverty). His second goal was a cross crease feed from Alex Kober. The Panthers had increased their lead to 5-3 after the first quarter.

pitt-briPittsford came out of the quarter break and scored the first two goals. Lauroesch added his second goal with a dodge from outside. Later, Kober drove from behind the back of the cage to give the Panthers a four goal lead. In the second quarter, Brighton's goalie Jordan Carey) step up his game and finished the quarter with seven of his twelve saves. Carey had five of his seven saves after the second Panther goal was scored. The Barons held the Panthers scoreless for the next ten minutes (into the third quarter). The Barons scored two more goals to end out the quarter and keep the Panthers lead to only two goals. The first of the Baron goals was scored unassisted by Cregan with a drive from behind the cage. Only 0:18 later Nick Wolak assisted Bracket Bourne by passing him the ball in the middle of the crease. Bourne turned and fired before being checked by the Panther defense. Bourne's goal (the fifth for the Barons) was the first goal that Cregan did not score or assist for the Barons. The first half ended with Pittsford leading 7-5.

In the third quarter the Barons kept up the pressure and brought the pitt-brigame within one goal with a goal from CJ Wool. Wool scored after a time-out by the Barons, he took the ball at the midfield line and drove all the way to the crease. Pittsford came back with an unassisted man-up goal by Thomas Rodenhouse (assisted by Iuppa). The score remained at 8-6 for five minutes until CJ Wool scored yet another goal. Wool was on the crease and was fed the ball by Kurt Minges. The Barons had the score within one for the final time as the Panthers had their second five goal streak to increase their lead to six before Brighton added the final goal.

Although Brighton started strong, as the game progressed the Barons showed signs of tiring. Brighton demonstrated that there starting players were in the same caliber as some of the higher Section Five teams but that the starters played nearly the entire game for the Barons and were obviously tired by the late third and fourth quarters. Brighton's leading scorers (Cregan, Wool, Wolak) were all key players, however they could had difficulty keeping up their intensity for 48 minutes.

In the cage, Carey finished with 12 saves for the Barons. For Pittsford, Alex Howell played the entire game and finished with five saves. The game was fairly clean with only four penalties, all of which were against Brighton. Pittsford converted on two of four man-up opportunities. A major factor for the Barons was their face-off. Junior midfielder Max Brauer finished the game 13/15 (87%) at the face-off draw. In the second half Brauer stopped taking the face-offs and the Barons finished the game 4/9 at the draw. return

 fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


Marcus Whitman 11 - Waterloo 10  

The book for Waterloo: Tim Wright (2g-1a), Cody Riegel (1g-1a), Tim Freier (2g), Dylan Chilson (1g-1a), Chance Lowry (3g), Mike Bohling (1g), Goaltending: Zach Ramirez 11s/11ga = 50% (48 mins)

The book for Marcus Whitman: Jeffrey Bero (2g-1a), Karl Gray (1g), Dalton Ormsbee (2g), Shawn Allen (3g), Clay Wilson (3g), Goaltending: Bobby Mason 13s/10ga = 57% (48 mins).

  --  It was a big day for the seniors and the rest of the Wildcats as Marcus Whitman won their first ever Varsity game in overtime. Junior attackman, Dalton Ormsbee scored the game winner with 2:09 left in overtime and the Wildcats secured the 11-10 win at Waterloo. This is the second year at Varsity for Marcus Whitman.

Clay Wilson scored with 1:04 left in the fourth to tie the score and send it into overtime. Waterloo gained possession, but Whitman held, got the ball and drew a penalty with 2:36 left in overtime. During the man up Whitman got off a shot that was saved by Waterloo goalie, Zach Ramirez (11s/10ga). After the save the Ramirez tried to clear the ball, but was his pass was intercepted by Ormsbee who picked up the loose ball and fired it in the game winner.

"This was a great win for the seniors who have built this program", commented Marcus Whitman Head Coach Bruce Teague Jr. "The underclassmen followed their lead and were able to finish this game strong."

Leading the scoring for the Wildcats were Shawn Allen and Clay Wilson with three goals each and Jeffrey Bero with 2g-1a. "Bobby played a great game today to give us a chance to win this. Our defense really stepped up to get us the ball late and especially in overtime," reported Teague. Martin finished with 13 saves for the Wildcats.

Chance Lowry (3g) led the Waterloo offense, who travel to Midlakes on Tuesday. return


Hilton 18 - Eastridge 4  

The book for Hilton: Evan Pace (3g), Mike Meeks (4g-2a), Kyle Youngman (1g-2a), David Smith (3g-2a), Mike Barbone (3g), Jake Montgomery (1g-1a), Cory Endres (2g), Matt Sorce (1g), Alex Alvarado (1a), Shane Endres (1a), Goaltending: Mitch Smith 7s/4ga = 64% (48 mins)

The book for Eastridge: Mike Mortillaro (3g-1a), Brandon Burley (1g), Goaltending: TJ Ennis 13s/18ga (48 mins).

 --  Hilton (3-9) scored six goals in the first quarter and four more in the second on their way to an 18-4 win over visiting Hilton.

Mike Meeks (4g-2a), David Smith (3g-2a) and Carl Orlando and Mike Barbone (3g each) led the offensive book for the Cadets while Mitch Smith made 7 saves in the cage.

Mike Mortillaro (3g-1a) was in one all four Lancer goals. TJ Ennis recorded 13 saves for Eastridge. return


Geneva 16 - Mynderse 4  

The book for Mynderse: Nick Giovannini (2g), Mike Clark (1g-1a), Aaron Peterman (2a), Matt Koopman (1g), Jesse Janas (1a), Goaltending: Tim Trickler 17s/16ga = 52% (48 mins)

The book for Geneva: Will Brennan (3g-2a), Frank Triana (3g-2a), Patrick Roll (3g-1a), Sam Rollo (2g-2a), Billy Eddington (3g-1a), Steve Fabrizio (1g-1a), Chris Pitifer (1g), Sean Cunningham (1a), Goaltending: Ross Dinan 7s/3ga = 70% (36 mins), Cory Parish 1s/1ga = 50% (12 mins).

  --  After a close first quarter after which Geneva was leading 3-2, the Panthers scored eight unanswered goals in the second and cruised to a 16-4 win at Mynderse Academy in Seneca Falls.

Eight different players made the offensive book for Geneva, led by Will Brennan and Frank Triana who each recorded (3g-2a) while Ross Dinan and Cory Parish combined for eight saves.

Nick Giovannini led the Blue Devil offense with two goals while Tim Trickler made 17 saves. return


Pal-Mac 4 - Newark 3  

The book for Newark: Luke Hartman (1a), Ryan Kommer (1g), Eli Ebanks (1g), Jack Timerson (1g), Goaltending: Dominic Camblin 17s/4ga = 81% (48 mins)

The book for Pal-Mac: Mike Russell (1g), David Ellsworth (1g), Mike DeMar (1g-2a), Ben Reeves (1g-1a), Goaltending: Matt Carkner 11s/3ga = 79% (48 mins).

  --  Both Goalies played strong games in the cage, while Pal-Mac's Defense held Newark scoreless in the second half to give the Red Raiders a 4-3 victory this morning at Newark.

Pal-Mac goalie, Matt Carkner made 11 saves and Newark goalie, Dominic Camblin made 17 saves. No player ion either team scored more than one goal but Mike DeMar (1g-2a) and Ben Reeves(1g-1a) led the scoring for Pal-Mac. return


Rush-Henrietta 16 - Williamsville East 1  

The book for Williamsville East:

The book for Rush-Henrietta: Joe Perkins (2g-1a), Jake Alvarez (4g-4a), Torry Whitcher (1a), Chauncey Scissum (1g), Chris Aycock (3g-2a), Brad Sauln (1g-2a), Tyler Badger (1g), Austin Freudenvoll (1g), Jackson Sadowski (2g), Kenny Pattridge (1g), Goaltending: Mark Wagner 6s/1ga = 86% (48 mins).

  --  Rush-Henrietta scored eight goals in the first half and finished with a 16-1 win while visiting Williamsville East (4-7) of Section 6 (Buffalo) this morning.

Chris Aycock (3g-2a) and Joe Alvarez (4g04a) led the offensive efforts while Mark Wagner had 6 saves and 1 goal against in the cage for the Royal Comets. return


Ath/Ody 13 - Arc/Oly 7  

The book for Arc/Oly: Richard Fischer (2g), Dylan Mahan (1g), Kendrick Heintzelman (2g-2a), Billy Slapar (2g), Goaltending: Shane Trost 16s/11ga = 59% (48 mins), Tyler Catalfano 2s/2ga = 50% (12 mins)

The book for Ath/Ody: Matt Keough (2g), Danny Vyverberg (2g-1a), Anthony Merola (1g-1a), Gino Prestigiacomo (4g-4a), Tyler Gorgione (4g), Andrew Prestigiacomo (1a), Joe Trimboli (1a), Goaltending: Zack Rudgers 5s/7ga (48 mins).

  --  It was very windy game today for the first "Storm Game" of the year. The Thunder led this one from start to finish. Gino Prestigiacomo got the Thunder on the board quickly with two fast breaks to start the game. On the first man-up of the game at 4:16 Tyler Gorgione had a goal on a feed from Anthony Merola in the corner. The next goal, at 1:38, saw Anthony Merola with a nice cut from the low corner and and a feed from Gino Prestigiacomo from the top of the box and after winning a face-off. The first quarter ended with the Thunder up 5-0.

The second quarter was much closer, with the Thunder scoring four goals and the Lightning putting up three. Three of the four Thunder goals were assisted. Tyler Gorgione had a man-up goal as Gino Prestigiacomo fed him and Gorgione popped, rolled away as he put it upper corner. Matt Keough had a corner shot at 1:46 with a nice pass from Gino Prestigiacomo.

The Thunder got into some penalty trouble and the Lightning capitalized getting two goals at 3:22 and 0:13 seconds before the halftime.

After the half the Lightning started to run the ball, while the Thunder offense made a few passing mistakes, allowing the Lightning to win the third quarter 4-2. The Thunder closed out the last quarter winning 2-0, spending most of the time controlling the ball on offense. Brandon Cheeseman had ten ground balls and brought the ball from defense to offense a number of times. Gino Prestigiacomo controlled the face-offs today and also picked up ten total ground balls. return


Victor 10 - Livonia 8  

The book for Victor: Mitch Rupp (1g), Connor Kimball (2g), Pat D`Angelo (3g-3a), John Maloney (3g-1a), Dale Mattice (1g-1a), Goaltending: Steve Basile 12s/8ga = 60% (48 mins)

The book for Livonia: Wyatt Struble (1g), Chris Bausch (1g), Jeff Wester (3g-2a), Mike Donals (3g), Ryan Smith (1a), Josh Wester (1a), Goaltending: Ethan Jamison 12s/10ga = 55% (48 mins).

 --  Livonia started off with four unanswered goals; however Victor came back scoring nine of the next eleven goals to win 10-8. The Bulldogs started with three goals from Jeff Wester and one from Wyatt Struble. The first quarter ended with Livonia leading 3-0.

In the second quarter Victor started their comeback. Livonia scored the first goal to take the 4-0 lead, followed by three unanswered goals from the Blue Devils. John Maloney (assisted by Dale Mattice), Mattice unassisted and Mitch Rupp (from Pat D'Angelo) scored for the Blue Devils. Rupp's goal was scored during man-up. The Blue Devils came within one goal, but Livonia was not ready to give up yet. Josh Wester assisted Mike Donals for the next Livonia goal. Victor added one more goal with 0:41 remaining in the first half with an unassisted goal by D'Angelo. The first half ended with Livonia holding the lead 5-4.

In the third quarter, Victor added two goals while holding the Bulldogs scoreless. Overall Livonia didn't score for 18:19 spanning from the second to fourth quarters. Victor's D'Angelo assisted the first goal of the quarter to Maloney and then scored the second goal with an assist from Maloney. After three quarters the Blue Devils led 6-5.

In the fourth quarter Victor's Connor Kimball scored man-down during a stick penalty for the Blue Devils. Livonia followed up with a 5-on-5 goal which was scored unassisted by Donals. Victor added three more goals and Livonia added two more goals before the end of the game. In the cage, Livonia's Ethan Jamison finished with ten saves spanning the first three quarters. Jake Fox finished the game and had two saves. For Victor, Steve Basile finished with 12 saves.

Collin O'Shea was 74% at the face-off draw (12/20). O'Shea also led the team in ground balls with seven; D'Angelo (7), Alex Davis (6) and Kimball (6) also had significant ground balls for the Blue Devils. For Livonia, Ryan Smith and Nick Jonasse both led with four ground balls for Livonia. return

 fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics.


East Rochester 17 - Bishop Kearney 6  

The book for East Rochester: Jordan Michele (3g-4a), Raymond Shalvoy (4g-1a), Torin Hudson (1a), Darnell Rhodes (5g), John Reiss (4g), Nick Reiss (1g-1a), Goaltending: Liridon Dervisholli 17s/6ga = 74% (48 mins)

The book for Bishop Kearney:

  --  There were no reports today from East Rochester or Bishop Kearney. return