Thursday: Brighton, Livonia and Pittsford Win


Brighton continued their unbeaten streak (7-0) with a 13-11 win over visiting Hilton. Pittsford scored the first two goals and went on to beat Aquinas 11-7. Livonia beat visiting Rush-Henrietta in a high scoring game, 17-14. Other winners today included Geneva, HFL, and McQuaid Jesuit.

quick links

Brighton 13 - Hilton 11  

The book for Brighton: Nick Wolak (3g-1a), Alex Lebowitz (1a), Steven Cregan (1g-4a), Brackett Bourne (6g), Max Brauer (1g), CJ Wool (2g-2a), Dan Pierce (1a), Goaltending: Jordan Carey 15s/11ga = 58% (48 mins)

The book for Hilton: Kyle Youngman (1g-2a), Jake Montgomery (1a), Shane Endres (1g), David Smith (6g), Cory Endres (1g-1a), Mike Barbone (1g-1a), Mike Meeks (1g), Goaltending: Mitch Smith 12s/13ga (48 mins).

-- special report Brighton held off several advances from visiting Hilton to remain one of only three undefeated teams in Section V (7-0) winning 13-11. The Baron's relied heavily on their goalie, junior Jordan Carey, and junior attackman Brackett Bourne. Carey finished the game with 15 saves (58%) including a number of key saves in the fourth quarter to stop the final Cadet comeback. Bourne led in scoring for the Barons with six goals including four in the first quarter.

The first quarter started off with Brighton unable to get offensive control of the ball. The Cadet's Luke Trowbridge won the opening face-off, picking up his own ground ball, and moved the ball down to Hilton's offensive end. After picking up the ground ball, Trowbridge fed the ball to David Smith, who, with an inside dodge, finished into the back of the net. Smith was the big scorer for Hilton with six goals. Smith took the ensuing ace-off himself, and once again Hilton controlled the ground ball and possession. After working the ball bri-hiltaround the outside, Smith took and outside shot which ended up in the back of the net. Trowbridge picked up his own face-off for the third straight Hilton win. This time the shot resulted in a save by Mitch Smith. Brighton cleared the ball to CJ Wool (2g-2a), who took a wide shot and the ball was back in the Cadet's stick after less than 30 seconds. Hilton came back down and Mike Meeks drove from behind the cage and put the Cadets up 3-0 with 9:24 remaining in the first quarter. Brighton came back with four straight goals of their own to tie the score and take the lead with 4:39 remaining in the first quarter.

The Baron's first goal came during a broken clear with Wool stripping the ball and Bourne coming up with the ground ball and subsequent goal. Just over a minute later Bourne scored his second goal, this time with a high cross-crease feed from Steven Cregan. Cregan was a presence on both the offensive and defensive areas for the Barons; Cregan finished with 1g-4a as well as five ground balls and three one-on-one takes. With 5:01 remaining in the first quarter, the Barons called a time-out at midfield during a clear. After play resumed Nick Wolak had the ball at the midfield line and took it all the way down for the goal. Only 0:12 later, Brighton took their first lead of the game with Alex Lebowitz picking up his own ground ball and the face-off and moving the ball up to Cregan, who found Bourne open on the far bri-hiltside of the crease unguarded. Hilton tied the game once more at 4-4 with a goal from Mike Barbone (assisted by Cory Endres). Brighton scored the final goal of the first quarter with Bourne scoring his fourth goal in a similar manner to his third goal. This time, Wolak was the feeder who found him open near goal-line extended and unguarded. The Barons led 4-3 at the expiration of the quarter.

The second quarter opened with Brighton scoring three unanswered goals in the first four minutes. Cregan added his first goal with an assist from Lebowitz during a fast-break unsettled situation. Wool's first goal was scored with an inside dodge around the crease. Wolak added his second goal during an extra-man opportunity to give the Barons a strong four goal lead (8-4) with 8:02 remaining in the second quarter. Hilton's Endres scored when he took the ball on the Cadet's defensive end and personally ran it all the way down until he shot (nearly on the crease). Brighton came back with two of their own only 0:36 apart, with two outside shots. The first was a feed from Cregan to Max Brauer and the second was a feed from Wool to Wolak. The Baron's led 10-5 with 3:02 remaining in the first half. Hilton added two of their own goals 0:45 apart before the end of the quarter with David Smith scoring back-to-back goals at 2:15 and 1:30. Both were feeds from behind the cage, the first was from Jake Montgomery and the second was from Kyle Youngman (during extra-man offense). Brighton scored the final goal of the quarter when defenseman Dan Pierce cleared the ball up and fed Bourne on the crease. Brighton led 11-7 going into halftime.

bri-hiltThe second half, and the fourth quarter in particular, was led by Hilton, with Brighton just trying to hold on to their lead. Hilton scored the first goal 2:05 into the quarter when defenseman Endres brought the ball down and scored all by himself. Brighton scored their final two goal of the game with 8:04 and 1:44 remaining in the third quarter. Wool scored the first goal with an outside shot (assisted by Cregan) and Bourne scored the final goal after an assist from Wool. Bourne's final goal was scored uncovered on the crease once again. The score was 13-8 after three quarters. The Cadets held the Barons scoreless for the final 14 minutes of play and held them to only seven shots (four on cage) in all of the fourth quarter. David Smith scored the first two goals (one unassisted and one assisted by Youngman). Youngman scored the final Cadet goal with 1:46 remaining. An injury to a Hilton defenseman caused a game delay while an ambulance was called.

Overall, Brighton controlled the game, but let Hilton repeatedly make partial comebacks without allowing them to get to close. Both teams had a significant number of shots; Brighton led 47-37, however Hilton had more on cage (26-25). Hilton had 70% of their shots on cage while Brighton only hit the cage 53% of the time. However, they were nearly identical in the percentage of shots that resulted in goals. Brighton's Wool (17) and Wolak (13) led in shots for the Baron, while Smith (11), Youngman (8), Endres (7) and Meeks (7) led in shooting for the Cadets. Brighton also led in ground balls 50-40; leading the charge for the Barons were Brauer (9), Bourne (7) and defenseman David Hill (6). For Hilton, Smith (8), Trowbridge (6), Montgomery (5) and Youngman (5) led.

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics


Pittsford 11 - Aquinas 7  

The book for Pittsford: Alex Kober (1g-2a), James Purpura (2g-2a), Jack Lauroesch (1g), TJ Iuppa (4g), James Burke (3a), Matt Palmer (1g-1a), Matt Gold (1g), Steven Troup (1g), Goaltending

The book for Aquinas: Bernard Gauthier (1g), Austin Gorman (3g-1a), Anthony Starnino (1g), Anthony Bianchi (2g), Klay Heston (3a), Goaltending: Erich Wischmeyer 12s/11ga = 52% (48 mins).

 -- special report Pittsford scored two lone goals in the first quarter and never lost the lead as they defeated visiting Aquinas 11-7 this afternoon at Mendon High School. Pittsford controlled most of the game, but allowed the Little Irish to get back in the game after the 5-2 halftime break. Aquinas took the third quarter 4-3 and came within two, but that was a close as it got.

Senior midfielder TJ Iuppa was the first to score, on a feed from behind the net by junior Alex Kober. A minute and a half later junior middie Matt Palmer scored on a feed by Kober on the same play. The Panthers led 2-0 after twelve minutes.

Pittsford continued the scoring halfway through the second quarter with an unassisted goal by Iuppa on a drive from front and center and a bounce shot past Aquinas sophomore goalie Erich Wischmeyer. Ten seconds later, the Little Irish got on the scoreboard when senior attackman Bernard Gauthier picked up a loose ball and dodged one man before scoring from the left. Pittsford went up 4-1 when Steven Troop got the ball on a broken clear and ended up with a one-on-one pitt-aqshot with Wischmeyer. The Panthers scored again twenty seconds later James Purpura scored from the left post at 4:34. Austin Gorman finished the scoring for the half with a goal at 4:00 as he started from behind the cage and ran a hard dive tight to the crease, fading at the goal line extended for a short angle shot pas Alex Howell. The Panthers led at the halftime break, 5-2.

Just twelve seconds into the third quarter, Aquinas took the score to 5-3 on an unassisted goal by long stick middie Anthony Starnino, who picked up the ground ball at the face off and took it right to the goal. Iuppa scored two more (unassisted) goals, the first after much ball movement around the outside and the second from a drive right down the center of the goal area. As a result, Pittsford went up 7-3 for about three minutes and until the Little Irish scored two goals in a row to take the score to 7-5. Gorman scored the first on a sweep right and a dodge past one defender and Anthony Bianchi scored the second on a sweep from the right. The Panthers scored one in man up (an inside feed to Lauroesch from Purpura at 1:18) but AQ came back one minute later with their own man up goal (Bianchi from Gorman) and the quarter ended with Pittsford up 8-6.

pitt-aqA Panther penalty at the end of the quarter gave Aquinas the ball in man up at the top of the last quarter but they were unable to capitalize on it. Pittsford scored at 8:35 on an inside crease feed by James Burke to Purpura who ended up one-on-one with the goalie. Aquinas scored right after the following face off with a nice cross-crease pass from Klay Heston to Gorman. The Panthers finished out the scoring with two goals. Matt Gold scored from the right wing and in man up with a feed from Burke at 6:28 and Kober scored at 3:15 after dodging through a double.

There has been a lot of talk about the Pittsford defense this year and the coaching staff had good match ups in their game. Senior Justin McLiverty had a great day playing a great deal of time against Gorman (3g-1a). He had a number of turn-backs and a couple of takeaways. Joe Dupra spent most of the day with Heston (1a) and sophomore Kevin Sanna drew Gauthier (1g). Alex Proper had some significant time with Gauthier as well and both goalies made a number of dramatic saves.

Aquinas played an aggressive game and at the end, although a bit panicky and falling into some penalty time, did not give up. Their defense was ok on the outside, but allowed a number of open cutters into the crease due to late slides. The Little Irish (5-2), however, has athletic players and a sound game plan. They have a number of tough games in the reset of the season, all which will help them prepare for the Sectional Tournament in May. The Little Irish face Thomas on Saturday and Livonia and Penn Yan next week. Pittsford had HFL on Saturday and Penfield and Churchville-Chili next week.



Livonia 17 - Rush-Henrietta 14  

The book for Livonia: Wyatt Struble (3g), Jeff Wester (5g-8a), Josh Wester (1g-1a), Chris Bausch (5g-5a), Mike Donals (3g), Ryan Smith (1a), Goaltending: Ethan Jamison 14s/14ga = 50% (48 mins)

The book for Rush-Henrietta: Jake Alvarez (5g-1a), Joe Perkins (3g-3a), Chris Aycock (4g-3a), Brad Sauln (2a), Chauncey Scissum (2g), Torry Whitcher (2a), Goaltending: Corey Spuck 12s/17ga (48 mins).

-- In a game that was close for most of the contest, it was the Bulldogs over Rush-Henrietta 17-14 in non-league action at Livonia. Rush has the lead by one goal at the end of the 4-3 first quarter but the Bulldogs came back and tied the game by halftime (9-9). Both teams scored two goals in the third, but six goals in the last quarter gave Livonia the win.

The Royal Comets broke the tie at the top of the fourth quarter and scored two in a row to give them an 11-9 lead but Livonia posted the next five goals before the team traded final goals at the end of the quarter.

"I was pleased with the hustle and heart of all the kids tonight and when the chips were not in our favor we really responded on both sides when the game was on the line. Rush is a very talented team and played hard the whole game," said a relieved Head Coach Brett Wood.

It was Wester/Bausch day in Livonia as Jeff Wester (5g-8a) was in all but four of the Livonia's seventeen goals while Chris Bausch (5g-5a) had six of his points with Wester. Jake Alvarez(5g-1a) and Joe Perkins(3g-3a) led the offense for Rush-Henrietta.



Geneva 21 - Marcus Whitman 2  

The book for Marcus Whitman: Jeffrey Bero (1g), Jaime Vogt (1g-1a), Goaltending: Nick Cosmano 12s/15ga (30 mins), Bobby Mason 2s/6ga (18 mins)

The book for Geneva: Sam Rollo (7g-1a), Patrick Roll (4g-3a), Frank Triana (3g-3a), Will Brennan (4g-1a), Zach Koczent (1g-2a), Mike Warner (1g-1a), Steve Fabrizio (1g), Goaltending: Ross Dinan 4s/0ga = 100% (24 mins), Cory Parish 2s/2ga = 50% (24 mins).

-- Geneva had a 21-2 win over Marcus Whitman in one of the morning games today.

Geneva took 37 shots and had 42 ground balls while seven different players made of the offensive book. The game was marred by a fight just before the half, which resulted in four ejections.


HFL 16 - Spencerport 4  

The book for HFL: Tommy O`Leary (2g-2a), Nick Weston (1g-3a), Drew Tallon (1a), Eric Boike (2g), Clai Kuhn (5g), Mickey Allan (3a), Jason Breau (3g-2a), Jeff Roth (3g), Goaltending: Jay Tallon 6s/4ga = 60% (48 mins)

The book for Spencerport: Kristian Barbato (1g), Ben Tribunella (2g), Seth Miller (1g-1a), Matt Kaser (2a), Marcus Palvino (1a), Goaltending: Tyler Schweikert 13s/16ga (48 mins).

-- In one of two early games today, HF-L defeated Spencerport 16-4. Although the game was close in the first quarter, the Cougars kept up the pressure in the second half, scoring eight goals while holding the Rangers scoreless.

It took an extra-man opportunity for the Cougars to get on the board in the first quarter. Tommy O'Leary assisted Clai Kuhn at 7:26 remaining in the first quarter to give HFL the early lead. Kuhn finished the game with five goals while O'Leary had 2g-2a. The Rangers came back with a vengeance scoring three goals in two minutes. The first goal was scored just 0:19 after the HFL goal. Seth Miller assisted Ben Tribunella for the opening Spencerport goal. Miller came back less than a minute later with a goal of his own (assisted by Marcus Palvino). Finally, Tribunella scored his second goal with an assist from Matt Kaser exactly two minutes after his first goal. The Rangers led 3-1 with 5:07 remaining in the first quarter. However, attackman Jeff Roth brought the Cougars back into the game with two goals before the end of the first quarter. The first was assisted by Drew Tallon and the second was unassisted. The first quarter ended with the score 3-3.

HF-L continued their scoring in the second quarter adding the first two goals, including their second man-up goal of the game when Mickey Allan assisted Nick Weston early in the second quarter. Roth scored his third goal of the game after an assist from Jason Breau and the Cougars were leading 5-3 with 7:07 remaining in the half. Spencerport's final goal came during a man-up opportunity of their own, with Kaser assisting Kristian Barbato with 1:59 remaining in the half. The Cougars held Spencerport scoreless for the final 25:59 of the game. HF-L added three more goals before the half ended, as well as seven more in the third quarter and one more in the fourth quarter. The final goal of the game was scored only 1:02 into in the fourth quarter again during an extra-man opportunity. Jason Breau assisted Eric Boike for the final goal.

Overall, the Cougars had eight opportunities at man-up and converted on five of them. HF-L also led in ground balls 41-20, shots 40-14 and shots on cage 29-10. Face-off man Jordan Gushue continued his strong play for the Cougars with a 78% game (18/23). Defenseman Keenan O'Brien led in ground ball production for HFL with seven, Gushue (6) and Allan (4) also made significant contributions. Leading for Spencerport were goalie David Konko (3) and defensemen Jordan McElligot (3) and Josh Sweeney (3).

fullstatsFor a more complete look check out the full statistics


McQuaid Jesuit 22 - Bishop Kearney 0  

The book for Bishop Kearney:

The book for McQuaid Jesuit: Chris Barilla (3a), Mike Crawford (3g), Ryan Williams (2g), Jack Pomeroy (2a), Kyle Strowe (1g), James Sturnick (3a), Clark Hadley (1g), Joe Napier (3g), Alex Paroda (1g-1a), Ian Horning (2g-2a), Sam Arazoza (1g), Alex Pochodylo (2g-2a), Brian Nally (1g-2a), Duncan Ayer (2g-1a), Danny Maring (2g), David Haseley (1g-1a), Goaltending: Pat Sheridan 0s/0ga (24 mins), Jon Crawford 0s/0ga (24 mins).

-- Sixteen different players made the offensive book for McQuaid Jesuit as they won a 22-0 victory against Bishop Kearney this afternoon.

Kyle Strow (1g), Joe Napier (3g), Sam Arazoza (1g) and Danny Maring (2g) each scored their first varsity goals in the game that saw the Knights ahead 8-0 at the half.