Saturday: Brighton over Churchville, Penn Yan over Carthage


It took overtime for the Barons, but Brighton's Nick Wolak scored with 3:23 remaining in overtime to win the battle over visiting Churchville-Chili. Penn Yan played a close one with Section Three's Carthage and won 10-9 and Hilton one a close 6-6 victory over Brockport. Schroeder lost of Hamburg (Section Six) 6-4 and Waterloo, Geneva, McQuaid Jesuit and HFL all won games on Saturday.


Penn Yan 10 - Carthage 9  

The book for Penn Yan: Bradley Voigt (5g), Preston Maciejewski (2g), Nate Nichols (1g-1a), Dylan Yonts (1a), Anthony Luppino (1a), Adam Stork (1g-1a), Jordan Owen (1g-1a), Goaltending: Cody Richardson 15s/9ga = 63% (48 mins)

The book for Carthage: John Woodworth (1g), Nick Piroli (3g-1a), Thomas Grimm (1g-2a), Derek Kehoe (2g), Kyle Temple (1g), Hunter Craig (1g), Goaltending: Tyler Beyor 9s/10ga (48 mins).

 -- special As one might expect, the Penn Yan Carthage game was exciting. That being said, the excitement was early in the game and late in the game with lots of "filler" in the third quarter. A key to the game was in the ground ball dominance by Penn Yan especially during face offs where Penn Yan junior Anthony Luppino won 16 of 23.

The Mustangs scored first, at 7:46 when Bradley Voigt, an eighth grade attackman, scored on a take away from the goalie and a quick pitch by senior midfielder Nate Nichols. The Comets returned quickly and less than a minute later, when Derek Kehoe threw a hard sidearm shot past sophomore goalie, Cody Richardson. Carthage scored again, twenty-eight seconds later, when attackman Nick Piroli scored his first of three in a row as Thomas Grimm found him unattended on the high crease.

py-carthPenn Yan tied the game at 2-2 a couple of minutes later when Voigt picked up a loose ball that bounced off Carthage goalie Tyler Beyor near the crease. After winning the next face off Penn Yan, sophomore attackman Dylan Yonts took the ball behind the cage and fed the ball to Preston Maciejewski, cutting to the crease. The Comets won the next possession and Piroli ended up the with ball behind the Mustang cage, where he make a hard and tight cut right next to the right crease and a step from the goal-line extended, placed the ball in the upper right hand corner, giving Carthage another tie (3-3). On the next face off, and after a scramble, junior middie Adam Stork sent a long pass to Voigt, unattended and on the Comet crease and he quickly sent it to the back of the net. Exactly one minute later Stork drove the ball right down the middle and he scored with a wrist shot the bounced over Beyor's shoulder. Although Penn Yan was up 5-3, it did not last long as Carthage, about a minute later, on an intense and beautiful ride, broke a Penn Yan clear and Piroli scored an unassisted goal. The very active quarter ended with Penn Yan up 5-4.

py-carthPenn Yan took off at the top of the second quarter with three unanswered goals in the first six minutes. Maciejewski standing on the right wing, with the ball, wound up and threw a hard low shot into the net at 10:54. Nichols picked up a loose ball on the crease and popped it into the net a couple of minutes later. At 6:06, Voigt scored fourth goal when he, high above the crease, received a pass from Jordan Owen. The Mustangs had their largest lead at 8-4, but the Comets were not done. They scored the next two to finish the quarter to cut the Penn Yan lead to 8-6. Kyle Temple scored the first in man up with an assist from Grimm on his outside shot and Grimm (assisted by Piroli) scored the second on an outside to inside move and an underhand shot at the ankles of Richardson.

After the half time break, the Mustangs slowed the tempo to the point of boredom, but in the process limited Carthage's ball time. When the Comets did get the ball, they tended to rush their shots and gave Richardson a number of shots that were right in (or near) his stick. As a result, neither team scored in the third quarter and the score remained 8-6, Mustangs.

Although the Mustangs continued to hold on the ball at the top of the last quarter, py-carthCarthage scored at 9:40 and again at 7:41, tying the game at 8-8. The first goal was scored by middie Jon Woodworth who shot from the front left into the top right corner of the net. The second goal was scored by a fired up Derek Kehoe who dodged two Penn Yan defenders before shooting. The scores served as a wake-up call for the Mustangs who came back thirty-five seconds later with the go-ahead goal by Owen with on outside shot to the top left corner of the net. Two minutes later Voigt scored his fifth and last goal of the game after receiving a cross-crease pass from Luppino. With 2:15 left in the game, Richardson made two saves as the ball kept bouncing off his body, the third time the ball became loose, Grimm picked up the ball and ran behind the cage and then passed it to Hunter Craig out front who scored, making it a one goal game.

The ball went back and forth a couple of times before Carthage gained a hard-fought possession in their defensive end and called time out with 1:07 remaining. After clearing the ball the Comets had three scoring attempts, the last of which was with four seconds left on the clock, but were unsuccessful.

At the start of the game, it looked like it would be a high-scoring game with little defense and many individual mismatches, but as the teams settled down, both began to look like mid-season teams. The Mustangs won a great deal of ball time with critical ground balls and as the result of face off possessions. The Comets showed incredible patience, both offensively and at the defensive end, and, at least in the beginning of the game, some terrific college-material rides. Cody Richardson (15s/9ga) made some "must stop" saves and, on clearing, seemed to choose carefully when to let loose his quick pitch to the breaking defensemen and when to direct a more deliberate clearing pattern.

The Comets (Section III) drop to 3-2 and will face Watertown IHC in ten days, while the Mustangs (3-0) take on West Seneca East on Thursday.


Brighton 15 - Churchville-Chili 14  

The book for Brighton: Nick Wolak (4g-1a), Brackett Bourne (3g), David Hill (1g), Kurt Minges (1g-1a), CJ Wool (6g-2a), Dan Pierce (1a), Goaltending: Jordan Carey 13s/14ga (49 mins)

The book for Churchville-Chili: Ryan Yunker (6a), Scott Shamp (3g), Zach Yehl (3g), Trevor Hodgins (2g), Nick Gray (2g), Jon Hemink (4g-1a), Goaltending: Jack Corcoran 12s/15ga (49 mins).

 -- special In the last game this evening, Brighton's Nick Wolak scored with 3:23 remaining in the first overtime to defeat visiting Churchville-Chili 15-14. Brighton had the only possession during overtime and on their second shot Wolak a rocket from the outside that ricocheted off Brackett Bourne's leg and into the back of the cage. Brighton continues to be undefeated at 5-0; however the Saints were the most challenging competition the Barons have faced yet this season. In the four previous games put together, Brighton's competition only scored 17 goals.

The game was close throughout. the score was tied ten times and no team held more than a two goal lead. Over the span of regulation time, Churchville-Chili led for 20:11, Brighton led for 9:10 and the game was tied for 18:39. Brighton's scoring rested on attackman CJ Wool (6g-2a) and Brackett Bourne (3g) and midfielder Nick Wolak (4g-1a). Churchville-Chili on the other had had six different players making bri-ccsignificant contributions. Ryan Yunker (6a), Jon Hemink (4g-1a), Zach Yehl (3g), Scott Shamp (3g), Trevor Hodgins (2g) and Nick Gray (2g) all made the Churchville-Chili scorebook. Wolak and Wool for Brighton and Hemink for Churchville-Chili all had double digit shots at the goal.

In the cage, Jordan Carey of Brighton finished with 13 saves and Jack Corcoran of Churchville-Chili finished with 12 saves. Both goalies came up big between the pipes when it mattered. Carey made a stunning last second save to send the game into overtime. At the face-off, Max Brauer took every face-off for the Barons and finished 17/29. Taylor Kolmer, Shamp and Yehl split the draw for the Saints with Shamp ended 9/16.

Churchville-Chili scored the first two goals of the contest with unassisted goals from Yehl and Gray. Yehl scored on a straight dodge from the top while Gray scored after picking up the loose ball in the middle of the crease and putting it into the back of the cage. Brighton came back with two of their own, both unassisted. Kurt Minges and defenseman David Hill scored for the Barons. Minges scored on a broken clear followed by Hill taking the ball the entire length of the field for the goal. Churchville-Chili scored the final goal of the first quarter with Yunker adding his first assist of the game. Yunker found Hodgins cutting towards the crease as he came around on his own drive from behind the cage. Churchville-Chili led 3-2 after the first quarter.

The second quarter saw a flurry of scoring from the Barons, particularly from Wool (3g-1a in the quarter). Wolak tied the game with 9:26 remaining in the quarter with another broken clear, Wool stripped the ball from the defenseman and Wolak scooped up the loose ball for the goal. Churchville-Chili scored the next goal with Hemink feeding Gray from behind the cage. Brighton added two more goals in less than minute with Wool and Bourne both scoring unassisted. They led for the first time in the game (5-4). Churchville-Chili didn't let that lead stand, scoring only 0:22 later. Hodgins drove around the side of the cage and after faking a pass, shot the ball underhand and snuck it past Carey. bri-ccThe next goal came during extra-man offense. There were only three penalties in the entire game and in general the officials let both teams play. Yunker's second assist of the game came during the extra-man play where he found Hemink open on the flat. The Saints led by one goal with 5:42 remaining in the half. However, the Barons were not finished, and they added three more goals before halftime. Wool scored the first and third and assisted the second. Wool, especially in the second quarter, was a one man force for the Barons. Although the entire team stepped up to defeat the Saints, it was Wool that turned the heat when they were down, and it was Wool that kept them up when they were leading. At the half, the Barons led 8-6.

In the third quarter it was the Saints turn to have a volley of scoring and it was Yunker that would lead the Saints, much like Wool led the Barons in the second quarter. Yunker was responsible for four assists on six goals in quarter. Churchville-Chili first goal was on an outside shot by Hemink (Yunker assisted) at 9:40 to pull within one goal. At 7:27 the Saints tied the game again, Hemink stripped the ball during a ride with sophomore midfielder Pat Bonafede picking up the ground ball and looking to Yunker up field. Yunker in turn found Shamp open for the goal. An outside shot by Wolak (assist from Minges) during an extra-man opportunity put the Barons back into the lead for the last time until the overtime victory.

bri-ccWith 6:29 remaining in the third quarter the Barons led 9-8. Churchville-Chili scored the next three goals to tie the game and take a two goal lead. Shamp, Hemink and Yehl each added a goal for the Saints (Yunker assisted on Shamp's goal). Yehl, who scored the eleventh Churchville-Chili goal scored after a dead ball drive from behind the cage. The Saints were back in control of the lead with an 11-9 lead with 4:10 remaining in the third quarter. The final two Baron goals of the third quarter came from Wolak and Wool (with Wolak assisting Wool's goal). Wolak's goal came when Churchville-Chili was called for failure to advance near the midfield and Wolak took the ball straight from the midfield line to the cage. Wool scored after a communication error left him unguarded on the crease. The score was tied at 11-11 with 1:49 remaining, however the Saints scored only 0:16 later to keep the lead into the end of the third quarter. Yehl scored (assisted by Yunker) for the Saints.

Brighton outscored the Saints 3-2 in the fourth quarter to tie the score at 14-14 and force overtime. They tied the score with the first goal of the quarter during a fast-break goal. Wool found Bourne open across the crease for the score. On the ensuing face-off, Shamp took the draw and after picking up his own ground ball he drove straight to the crease scoring and retaking the lead only 0:13 after the Baron goal. bri-ccHemink added the final Saint goal of the day with a drive from behind the cage and an unassisted goal. Brighton scored the final two goals of the game, and both were scored by Wool. Defenseman Dan Pierce assisted the final goal for the Barons. With 0:58 remaining in the game and the score tied the Saints had a chance with the ball, and after a time-out, the Saints ran down the clock before attempting a shot. With 0:08 remaining Yunker shot on cage, and the ball was saved by Carey. With 0:06 remaining the Barons called a time-out. Defenseman Dan Pierce came out of the huddle to get the ball on the far side of the field outside of their defensive box. Pierce then hurled the ball down field, with it landing in the stick of Bourne, who was alone on the crease. Bourne shot high and Corcoran came up with a terrific save to send the game into overtime.

In overtime, Brauer came out and won another face-off for the Barons. Coach Mike Gottko called a time-out 0:12 into overtime. Coming out of the huddle, Wool took the ball and his shot went wide, but the Barons kept the ball. With 3:23 remaining Wolak took his outside shot for the goal. Brauer and Pierce both had eleven ground balls for the Barons to lead their team. Sophomore defenseman Nick Bruno (9) led in ground balls for the Saints, with Yehl (7), Slavic Hurley (5) and Shamp (5) also contributing. Brighton led in overall ground ball production 52-45. Both teams took 38 shots with 27 shots on cage.

 fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


Geneva 16 - Mynderse 5  

The book for Geneva: Sam Rollo (4g-2a), Patrick Roll (3g-1a), Zach Koczent (3g-1a), Will Brennan (2g-2a), Mike Warner (1g-1a), Frank Triana (1g), Chris Pitifer (1g), Austin Koczent (1g), Dan Pufnock (1a), Goaltending: Ross Dinan 10s/5ga = 67% (48 mins)

The book for Mynderse: Nick Giovannini (3g-1a), Danny Galusha (1g-1a), Robert Gamache (1g), Aaron Peterman (1a), Matt Koopman (1a), Goaltending: Tim Trickler 21s/16ga = 57% (48 mins).

 -- Mynderse Academy scored the first two goals of the game, but Geneva came back and won 16-5 in a Finger Lakes league game at Geneva. Geneva dominated in ground ball production, giving the Panthers a majority of ball time.


Hilton 6 - Brockport 5  

The book for Hilton: Kyle Youngman (1g-1a), David Smith (2g), Mike Meeks (1g-1a), Mike Barbone (1g), Cory Endres (1g), Goaltending: Mitch Smith 7s/5ga = 58% (48 mins)

The book for Brockport: Bryan Johnson (3g), Trevor Hayward (1g), Jack Burns (2a), Jake Burns (1g), Goaltending: Paul Duthoy 17s/6ga = 74% (48 mins).

 -- Hilton won their first game of the season for Coach Tony Levin in a squeaker that saw a three goal third quarter for the Cadets. That made all of difference in their 6-5 win over visiting Brockport. Junior middies Dave Smith (2g) and Kyle Youngman (1g-1a) and junior attackman Mike Meeks (1g-1a) led the offense for Hilton.




Hamburg 4 - Schroeder 2  

The book for Hamburg: Justin Strain (1g), Chris Feuerstein (1g), Ryan Feuerstein (1g-1a), Kyle Nowak (1g), Goaltending: James Maxwell 7s/2ga = 78% (48 mins).

The book for Schroeder: Cody Consul (1g), Johnny Murray (1g), Pete Noto (1a), Goaltending: Scott Tota 9s/4ga = 69% (48 mins).

 -- Webster Schroeder traveled to Section six this afternoon to face Class B's Hamburg. Hamburg scored two goals in the fourth quarter to defeat the Warriors 4-2. The game was a defensive struggle and was close throughout. The Bulldogs started the scoring with attackman Chris Feurstein scoring an unassisted goal in the first quarter. His goal was the only goal in the quarter and so the Bulldogs led 1-0 after the first quarter.

Schroeder scored the first goal of the second quarter with 6:35 remaining with an unassisted goal by Cody Consul. The Bulldogs came right back scoring on a fast-break from the ensuing face-off with face-off man Ryan Feuerstein picking up his own ground ball and finding his wingman, defenseman Justin Strain, open for the goal. The half ended with the Bulldogs lead 2-1.

In the third quarter Schroeder scored the only goal and tied the score going into the final quarter. Johnny Murray scored after Pete Noto fed him the ball. Noto, who took all ten face-offs in the game, finished with 6/10 at the draw. In the fourth quarter, with 9:03 remaining Kyle Nowak scored unassisted to put Hamburg back into the lead. With 0:55 remaining in the game, Hamburg added another insurance goal with R. Feuerstein scoring unassisted. R. Feuerstein took nine shots with only three on cage throughout the game. Midfielder Adam Dings took eight shots, with two only on cage. Overall, Hamburg only had 39 percent of their shots on cage. Similarly, Schroeder only had 43 percent of their shots on cage (9 of 21).

Defenseman Shawn Needham led the Bulldogs with six ground balls; R. Feuerstein (2) and Eric Chadderdon (2) also contributed to the totals. Goalie Scott Tota led the Warriors with six ground balls, with Noto (3) also contributing. In the cage, Tota finished with nine saves. For Hamburg James Maxwell finished with seven saves (78%). Both teams spent significant time in the penalty box, however, neither team converted on an extra-man attempt. Schroeder was in the box for 6.5 minutes spanning eight penalties with Hamburg in for 3.5 minutes (four penalties).

 fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


McQuaid Jesuit 13 - St. Francis 5  

The book for St. Francis:

The book for McQuaid Jesuit: Alex Pochodylo (1g-1a), Chris Barilla (3a), Mike Crawford (4g-1a), James Sturnick (1g-1a), Ryan Williams (3g), Jack Pomeroy (2g-1a), Ian Horning (1a), Duncan Ayer (2g), Goaltending: Pat Sheridan 17s/5ga = 77% (44 mins), Jon Crawford 1s/0ga = 100% (4 mins).

 -- After traveling to Buffalo at seemed that the McQuaid Jesuit Knights were a bit sluggish at the start of the game and although missing a few key players, they were able to empty the bench as they defeated St, Francis 13-5. Senior attackman Mike Crawford led the offensive effort with 4g-1a. The Knight defense held St. Francis scoreless for the last fifteen minutes of the game. "The team did a great job staying under control, only drawing two penalties for the game," reported Coach Paul Jordan after the game.


HFL 17 - Arc/Oly 1  

The book for HFL: Tommy O`Leary (4g-1a), Jake Lee (1g), Nick Weston (2g), TJ Walsh (1a), James Spencer (1g), Drew Tallon (1g-1a), Eric Boike (3g), Clai Kuhn (2g-1a), Mickey Allan (1g), Jason Breau (1g-3a), Jeff Roth (1g), Goaltending: Jay Tallon 2s/0ga = 100% (29 mins), Stephen Leonard 0s/1ga (19 mins)

The book for Arc/Oly: Dustin Lenz Emmi (1g), Goaltending: Shane Trost 6s/14ga (36 mins), Tyler Catalfano 2s/3ga (12 mins).

 -- HF-L defeated Greece Arc/Oly 17-1, with the Lightning goal coming 0:10 into the fourth quarter. Dustin Lenz Emmi scored an unassisted goal for Greece Arc/Oly. The Cougars held Greece Arc/Oly to only three shots during the entire contest. They also defeated the Lightning in ground balls 41-17.

Eleven Cougars made the score book with seven having more than one point. The Cougars took 38 shots with 25 on cage. Overall 45 percent of all the HF-L shots resulted in goals. Eric Boike and Tommy O'Leary led in shooting production with eight and seven respectively. Face-off man Jordan Gushue finished with 13/19 (68%) and eight ground balls. Seventeen HF-L players had ground balls in the game; contributions were made by Jake Lee (4), Jeff Roth (4), James Spencer (3), Bruce Curwin (3) and Keenan O'Brien (3). For Greece Arc/Oly, Dylan Mahan (5) led with David Powlowski (3), Lenz Emmi (2), Kendrick Heintzelman (2) and Dylan Frank (2) adding to the tally.

In the cage, both teams split time for the goalies. For HF-L, Jay Tallon played for the first 29 minutes and made two saves. Stephen Leonard played the remainder of the game, but only faced the one shot that resulted in the Greece Arc/Oly goal. Shane Trost started the first three quarters for the Lightning and made six saves. Tyler Catalfano played the final quarter and tallied two saves.

 fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


Waterloo 10 - Marcus Whitman 6  

The book for Marcus Whitman: Shawn Allen (3g), Dalton Ormsbee (1g), Taylor Lazzaro (1g), Jaime Vogt (1g), Collin Ayers (1a), Goaltending: Nick Cosmano 12s/10ga = 55% (48 mins)

The book for Waterloo: Joe Shaffer (1g), Tim Wright (2g-2a), Cody Riegel (1g-2a), Tim Freier (1g-2a), Dylan Chilson (2g-1a), Chance Lowry (3g-1a), Goaltending: Zach Ramirez 8s/4ga = 67% (43 mins), Josh Bailey 1s/2ga (5 mins).

 -- The generally even paced game saw Waterloo with a 5-3 half time advantage over host Marcus Whitman that increased to a 10-6 final. Chance Lowry (3g-1a) and Tim Wright (2g-2a) led the offensive effort for the Indians.