Tuesday: Irondequoit Over Penfield in a Close One


With nine lead changes during the game, Irondequoit ended up the 12-11 winner over host Penfield. Nick Doktor (5g-2a) scored three of his goals in the third quarter to give the Eagles a two goal lead going into the last quarter.

Irondequoit 12 - Penfield 11  

special -- Irondequoit used a strong third quarter showing, scoring six goals to two on their way to defeat Penfield 12-11. The game was back and forth with the score being tied nine times.

Penfield's Dan O`Brien opened up the scoring 1:00 into the game with an unassisted goal. Nick Doktor scored Irondequoit's first goal of the game with 8:03 remaining in the first quarter. He finished with 5g-2a, leading the Eagles. Penfield quickly retook the lead 24 seconds later with O`Brien finding Will Schoeneck open. Greg Coholan, who finished with 2g-1a, scored the second tying goal of the game during an extra-man opportunity a little over a minute later with Jake Schmidt assisting. With 5:27 remaining the Eagles took their first lead of the game with an unassisted goal from Ian Brooks. The two teams traded two more goals each before the first quarter ended with Matt Bilak and Aaron Pulinski scoring for the Patriots and Justin Buonomo and Schoeneck scoring for the Eagles.

The first quarter ended with the score tied at five, after being tied at each of the previous numbers. In the first quarter, Penfield only took five shots. The score continued to go back and forth in the second quarter. Penfield took the 6-5 lead with an unassisted goal from Alex Miles. Miles finished the game with 5g to lead the Patriots in goals. Doktor came irond - penfieldback with his second goal to tie to score back at 6-6. Penfield added two goals in the last two minutes to take the first two goal lead of the game. Both goals were scored by their "go-to guy", Miles. At 1:40 he scored unassisted and with 0:11 remaining he scored with an assist from Tucker Nelson. For the first time in the game one team had a two goal lead.

Irondequoit came out of halftime with purpose. The Eagles scored the first three goals of the third quarter to not only wipe the two goal lead, but to take over. Mike Utz, Brooks, and Greg Coholan each scored a goal with Nelson, Coholan and Doktor each providing an assist. With 5:23 remaining Irondequoit had taken a 9-8 lead. However, Justin Rehm picked up the ground ball on the face-off and ran down to feed Miles allowing Penfield to tie the game only 0:10 after losing the lead. Another 0:09 later and Penfield's Bilak scored again giving Penfield the lead once more. Irondequoit would not be held down, scoring three goals before the end of the quarter. Doktor scored all three goals spanning four minutes. The only assisted goal was the first, which was assisted by Erik Kleehammer. Irondequoit held a 12-10 lead after three quarters.irond-penfield

The only goal in the fourth quarter came at 7:18 with Nelson feeding Miles. Miles' goal was the only shot the Penfield put on the cage the entire quarter.

Tyler Nash finished the game with 3 saves (21%) for Irondequoit. Jamie Solomon finished with 17 saves (58%) for Penfield. Junior midfielder Matt Wolfe led in ground ball production with 7 for the Eagles. Seniors Buonomo (6), John Mikel (5) and Vella (3) also made contributions. Freshman midfielder and face-off man Connor Russell led in ground ball production with 5 for Penfield. Russell finished 9/25 at the draw. Sophomores Justin Rehm (4) and Matt Condon (3) as well as senior Mike Catanzaro (4) made contributions for Penfield.

There were some amazingly fine moments with lacrosse skills looking like mid-season, but they were offset by moments of utter frustration for both teams. Each goalie made a few spectacular saves but had moments when relatively easy shots made it into the goal. Clearing was a problem for the Patriots in the second half, although the Eagle attack had some ferocious rides on occasion. For a large portion of the game Penfield played and acted like they would be the winners, but the sheer determination by Nick Doktor and the rest of the Eagles ultimately gave them the win. As many predicted, both teams are good and will only get better with time.

 fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics.


Brighton 18 - Ath/Ody 6  

 -- Brighton scored the first four goals of the game on their way to an 18-6 win over Greece Athena/Odyssey. The Barons controlled entire game and won each quarter.

Junior attackman CJ Wool opened up the scoring for Brighton, adding three goals and one assist in the first quarter on his way to 5g-5a for the entire game. Danny Vyverberg scored on a drive from the wing, scoring the lone goal for the Thunder. The Barons led 6-1 after the first quarter and then added one more goal before the half when junior attackman Brackett Bourne scored (assisted by Wool). Bourne finished the game 5g-1a.

In the third quarter, five different players scored for the Barons including junior attackman JT Haag and junior long stick midfielder Dan Pierce. The Thunder added three more goals in the third quarter. The first was scored by Anthony Merola and assisted by Vyverberg. This was the first Varsity goal for Merola (a freshman attackman). Tyler Gorgione scored with an assist from Matt Keough for the second Greece goal. The final goal of the quarter for Greece was scored by Vyverberg with a drive from the wing. Brighton added four more goals before the end of the quarter.

In the fourth quarter the Barons continued the pressure, adding five goals and holding Greece to two. Freshman midfielder Alex Ballatori highlighted the fourth quarter with his unassisted goal, his first on Varsity. Both of Greece Ath/Ody goals were scored by Gino Prestigiacomo. He was also the face-off man for the Thunder and scored both goals after winning his own face-off and running straight to the goal.

Junior midfielder Max Brauer finished 11/16 at the face-off draw for the Barons. For Greece Ath/Ody Prestigiacomo led with 7 ground balls. Brandon Cheeseman (5gb), Nick Materise (4gb), Dan Conway (3gb) and Joe Trimboli (3gb) also made contributions.

In the cage, both teams split goalies. Brighton's Jordan Carey started and had ten saves. Junior Matt Ingalls finished the game and had two saves. For the Thunder, Zack Rudgers started and had ten saves. Steve Cole finished the final five minutes with a save.


Schroeder 7 - Victor 3  

special -- Schroeder used a strong second quarter to defeated Victor 7-3 at McAvoy Park this afternoon. The Warriors held Victor scoreless in both the first and fourth quarter, while adding four goals in the second quarter. They played a consistent game, capitalizing on mistakes made by the Blue Devils and taking advantage of a number of unsettled situations.

Four of Schroeder's first five goals were scored in unsettled situations with the fifth scored on a bad bounce for goalie Steve Basile. The Warriors scored the first goal with 0:45 remaining in the first quarter. Cody Consul scored on a fast-break with Alex Powell assisting him. Consul (3g-2a) scored or assisted on five of the seven goals for Schroeder.

The second quarter was the break out quarter for the Warriors. Victor scored their lone goal of the quarter at just 1:34 into the quarter to tie the game. Dale Mattice shot after a run to the goal with a straight drive in from the side. At 6:33, after a dead ball, Consul fed the ball to Liam Wheatley, who was open on the crease giving Schroeder their second goal of the game. Only two minutes later, on a fast-break, Consul scored his second goal of the game with a straight drive all the way from the midfield line. Less the a minute later the Warriors kept up the pressure and Consul drove from behind the cage and found Cody Henry open after the defensive slide. The final goal of the quarter was scored during a man-down fast-break by Johnny Murray with 0:35 remaining in the half. Schroeder led 5-1 after two quarters.

Victor chipped away a little in the third quarter, scoring two goals and holding Schroeder to one. The Blue Devils struck first with an inside feed by Brian Gilbert to Mattice. The next Schroeder goal was scored when Joe Nicodemi drove from the top and found Consul open cutting around from behind the crease. The Blue Devils finished up the quarter with a extra-man goal by Max Hill (assisted by Andy Poitras). The score was 6-3 after three quarters.

In the final quarter Schroeder added one more goal with face-off man Pete Noto scoring on a sweep from the upper right. Noto dominated the draw, winning 10/12(83%). Victor took 9 shots in the fourth quarter trying to keep the score close, but they could not capitalize on any of the shots. Victor had three man-up opportunities in the quarter, but was unable to capitalize on any of those either.

Victor's defense did a great job of staying with Schroeder. Most of the Warrior goals were outside the settled defense. When lined up six-on-six the Blue Devils were consistently turning back the Schroeder drives. They were confident, fighting for ground balls, making clearing passes and getting the ball to the offense. However, once the ball was in the offensive side of the field, it was like an entirely different team. The Blue Devils dropped passes and could not control the ground balls that looked easy ten seconds earlier.

Overall, Schroeder remained calm throughout the game and demonstrated why they were the stronger team. They kept playing their game, waiting for the Blue Devils to make mistakes, and then capitalized on them. In the cage, Scott Tota made a number of strong saves for the Warriors and finished the game with 11 saves (77%). Nick Russo played one minute during a Tota penalty and finished with one save. For Victor, Steve Basile finished with 16 saves (70%). Basile also looked good between the pipes and stepped up for a number of saves to keep the score close.

Consul (6gb), Noto (5gb) and senior defenseman Ryan Martin (4gb) led in ground balls for the Warriors. Consul had two one-on-one takes during rides for the Warriors. For Victor, Collin O'Shea, Basile and junior defensemen Nick Waseleski each had three ground balls. Waseleski also had two one-on-one takes for the Blue Devils.

 fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics.


McQuaid Jesuit 15 - St. Francis 4  

 -- McQuaid Jesuit defeated visiting St. Francis 15-4 this afternoon. The Knights were the third team that St. Francis faced from Section Five in the last week. They defeated Bishop Kearney (14-3) and then lost to Aquinas (2-14) last weekend. The Knights held the Red Raiders scoreless in the first on their way to a 10-1 lead at the half. McQuaid Jesuit Jesuit Jesuit had eight different players make the scorebook in their game.

Coach Paul Jordan writes, "This was a somewhat sloppy game - definitely 'early season mistakes' by both teams." The Knights worked well and their offense kept themselves out of the penalty box with only four penalties to St. Francis' ten. Coach Jordan notes, "A great effort from our entire team in collecting 48 ground balls."

Livonia 19 - Waterloo 1  

 -- Jeff Wester had (3g-7a), Chris Bausch had 5g-1a and Mike Donals added 4g to lead Livonia to a 19-1 finish in their game with visiting Waterloo in a non-league game.

Livonia scored fifteen goals in the first half, while holding the Indians to a single goal in the first quarter by Cody Riegal.

Coach Brett Wood was pleased with the game. "I was very pleased with the way our kids came out and got right to it offensively tonight. We did an excellent job on ground balls and put quality shots on the goal early to set the pace right from the start. We didn't budge an inch defensively and controlled the tempo of the game. Jake Keller (6s/1ga=86%) did a great job in the cage in his first varsity start and we worked well as a defensive unit."


Batavia 16 - Arc/Oly 12  

 -- Batavia held off the late advances of Greece Arcadia/Olympia to win 16-12 over the Lightning. Batavia, who finished last season 7-11, comes into the season looking to break .500 for the first time in the programs history. The Blue Devils won the first two quarters, lost the third and traded goals in the fourth quarter.

In the third quarter, the Lightning came within one goal (8-9) with three minutes remaining in the quarter. However, the Blue Devils added three more goals before the end of the quarter and then traded goals throughout the fourth.

Both teams split goalies. Senior Theo Hill started the game and played all but five minutes with a total of 20 saves for Batavia. Sophomore Dylan Buchholtz played the last five minutes of the game but failed to face a shot on cage. Sophomore Shane Trost and junior Tyler Catalfano split halves in the cage for Greece Lightning. Trost played the first half and had nine saves while Catalfano finished the game and had eleven saves.


Bath 17 - East Rochester 7  

 --  Bath defeated East Rochester 17-7 this afternoon. The Rams won every quarter and held a 9-3 lead at halftime. The Rams increased their record to 2-0. Both the attack and the midfield were equally impressive in scoring in today's game. The attack finished with a combined 7g-10a while the midfield accounted for 10g-5a.

Zach Reed led with 3g-9a an was involved in 71% of all Bath goals. Junior midfielder Nick Rossi finished the game with 4g-4a. Overall, bath controlled most of the game. The Rams took 46 shots with 70% of them on cage and 37% resulting in goals. Senior midfielder Matt Nesbitt continued to do well at the face-off draw going 14/19 (74%). Rossi and junior Matt Schlink combined for another 7/10 at the draw.

Nesbitt led in ground balls for Bath with six. Defensemen Trevor Lang (5) and Tim Wolfer (2), and midfielders Rossi (2) and Eric Dickson (2) also made contributions. Wolfer also finished with two one-on-one takes. For the Bombers, senior defenseman David Farchione controlled seven ground balls with midfielder Nick Reiss (5) and attackman Jordan Michele (5) and Darnell Rhodes (4) adding to the count.

Between the pipes, sophomore Liridon Dervisholli started for the Bombers and finished with 15 saves spanning two and a half quarters. Sophomore Jonathan Caton finished the game and recorded two saves. Junior goaltender Robert Masti played the entire game for Bath and finished with 9 saves.



Spencerport 9 - Eastridge 5