Saturday: Canandaigua over Fairport on Last Day

- One the last day of the regular season, Canandaigua was a 10-7 winner over visiting Fairport. Penn Yan won a 9-1 victory over Amherst of Section 6. The other winners were Bath, Thomas and Waterloo.


Canandaigua 10 - Fairport 7 

special  --  It was a sea of red and white on the field and in the stands, as the Red Raiders, in their bright red uniforms traveled to Evans Field in Canandaigua, where the Braves, in their white and red uniforms started off quickly ca-ftpscoring the first two goals and ended the first quarter up 5-1 before winning the game 10-7.

The "game was for pride" as the results of the game would not affect any seeding positions. Fairport will be the number one seeded team in Class A and Canandaigua will be the number one seed in Class B. [The complete seeding and tournament brackets will be available on SUnday.]

The day started on a somber note, as the CA announcer asked for a moment of silence in honor of Steve Morgan, a long-time lacrosse enthusiast and official and father of current HFL Head Coach, Todd Morgan, who died unexpected yesterday.

Although Fairport had the first face off and took almost two minutes off the clock in their offensive set, Canandaigua scored first, on their first trip to the offensive side of the field, when Deven Alves scored an unassisted goal on a drive from the side. About a minute later, the Braves scored again when Brian Scheetz popped a short adjacent pass to Marshall Johnson on the short right wing.

Both goalies, Nick King (CA) and Kris Sterzin (Fpt) had numerous "big saves" in the game. Their "stand up, tall in the cage" approach to a number of one-on-ones had the fans for both teams cheering their accomplishments. King ended the game with 15 saves and so did Sterzin.

ca-ftpThe Red Raiders saw their first goal at 6:09 with an outside, underhand shot from the front by Aaron Jones while in man up. Canandaigua came back with three unanswered goals to end the quarter up 5-1. Johnson added another outside score on a feed from Alves at 4:39 and junior middie Tom LaCrosse scored at 3:51 on a drive from the left. Adam Knapton scored on a clearing fast break and a pass from Alves. As the ball moved down field, several players were in shooting range, as Knapton kept calling for "one more" to get the ball and a one-on-one with Sterzin, while ten feet off the crease.

During a time out, Fairport Head Coach kept telling his team, "You need to make a decision right now." Whereas the CA defense was aggressive on anything inside the box, Fairport was, in the first half, less anxious to engage the quick CA midfielders and as a result, let them have a great deal of unmolested ball time out front which gave the Braves 14 shots in the first quarter (10 on, 5 goals).

CA scored first in the second quarter, right from the initial face off, when Gannon Osborn took a short pass from LaCrosse and made an outside shot low to the ground, giving the Braves a 6-1 advantage and a great deal of momentum. This momentum, however, was short-lived as the Raiders came back with an unassisted goal by Brendan ca-ftpSaylor who ran the ball to the back of the cage and then ran a gentle outside drive giving him an outside shot low on the cage. Thirty seconds later, Andrew Hays received the ball on the wing from Jones on the top of the box and popped one in, taking the score to 6-3.

Canandaigua took the wind out of the Fairport sails with the final two goals of the half, starting with an unassisted goal on a tight drive from behind the net by Alves who shot as he just crossed the GLE. Johnson ended the first half scoring with a pass from the wing to top front, giving the senior midfielder an opportunity for a hard wind-up side arm shot which blasted by Sterzin's left calf. CA left the field at halftime up 8-3 and feeling like the game was over.

Fairport came out of the break with a man up goal at 9:10 by Andrew Hays and an assist from Connor Lowe. Hays scored an outside sidearm shot to King's off stick side. Action stopped briefly when the scoreboard lost power and had to be reset. The quick break gave the Braves A chance to reset as well and they came back with an unassisted goal by Alves who drove the left crease and at the GLE shot a pin-point wrist shot into the corner. Thirty second later Johnson ran from a CA clear right to cage for an unassisted goal at 5:44. Fairport finished the quarter scoring when Brendan Saylor drove left from behind the cage and placed a shot low to the ground past King. The Braves led after three quarters, 10-5.

The Raiders played most of the second half like a team that had to make things happen and in their rush, made a number of mistakes during clears with passes that were not as sharp as usual. Quick outlet pitches by Sterzin were lost at midfield giving CA more offensive ball time and frustrating the Fairport offense who wanted that ball time. Two turnovers in the second half came from failure to advance the ball on the Raider end of the field.

ca-ftpFairport junior middie Martin Manilla took the score to 10-6 with is unassisted side arm blast at 10:30. The Raiders scored the final point of the game at 7:59 with an unassisted goal by Andrew Hays on his drive from a clear.

CA's King made two key saves in the last five minutes of the game which slowed the building Fairport momentum. Canandaigua took control of the ball for most of the last four minutes of the game, and were very content to play keep away, rather than give the Raiders a chance to score.

Senior face off man Mike Lehmann provided a highlight to Fairport's game, winning 12 of 20 draws.

Scoring for Canandaigua were Deven Alves (3g-2a), Tanner Scharr (1a), Marshall Johnson (4g), Tom LaCrosse (1g-1a), Gannon Osborn (1g) and Adam Knapton (1g). Nick King recorded 15s/7ga for the Braves (16-2) who will play their quarter final game at home on May 28th in the Class B tournament as the number one seeded team.

Scoring for Fairport were Aaron Jones (1g-1a), Brendan Saylor (2g), Andrew Hays (3g), Connor Lowe (1a) and Martin Manilla (1g). Kris Sterzin made 15s/10ga for the Raiders (14-2).


Penn Yan 9 - Amherst 1  

 --  In the regular season finale on a summer-like day at Mustang Field, Penn Yan upped their record to 16-2 with a 9-1 victory over the Amherst Tigers from Section 6. Penn Yan struck first when John Linnan drove hard to the right, drew a defender and fired a strike to Matt Osgood who placed the ball in the upper back of the net. Osgood tallied four goals in the game and leads Section 5 with 71 tallies in the season.

The big storyline in this game however was the Penn Yan defense that held Amherst scoreless until 1:40 in the second quarter when the Tigers their only goal of the game. The Mustang defensive unit played aggressively throughout the game killing off four man-down situations. In the first period, Penn Yan scored a man-down goal when Amherst lost possession of the ball and Preston Maciejewski found Cole Castle for the first of his two goals. In the third quarter, Penn Yan was two men down and was able to fend off the extra men situation.

Throughout the game, the Penn Yan defense thwarted the Tigers' efforts to get the ball inside. The Mustangs controlled play at the "x" as Ty Trombley won 71% of his draws. Trombley and Linnan combined for 12 ground balls, each scooping up six. In goal, senior Ethan Kamholtz went the distance, making 10 saves.

Scoring for Penn Yan were: Adam Trombley (2g-2a), Matt Osgood (4g), John Linnan (3a), Preston Maciejewski (1g-1a), Cole Castle (2g), and Adam Stork (1a). thomas-hilton


Thomas 22 - Hilton 4 

 --  Webster Thomas took a 6-2 first quarter lead to a 10-2 half and went on to defeat Hilton 22-4 in their game at MCC. Ten Titans were on the offensive scorebook.

Scoring for Thomas were Brad Hutton (4g), Jack Hinderland (4g-2a), Nick Scalzo (3g-3a), William Gurowski (2g-2a), Pat Morrill (1a), Kenny Tomeno (4g-1a), JT Hauck (2a), Kyle LaVallee (2g), Dan Thomas (1g) and Kyle Rothfuss (2g-1a). Austin Fox started in the goal and made 7s/4ga (36 mins) and Dan Solimano finished with 2s/0ga (12 mins) for the Titans who finish their regular season at 15-1.

Scoring for Hilton were Matt Fracassi (2g), Steve Bernsten (1g-1a) and Jimmy Gaffney (1g). Ken Stiles had 4s/20ga (34 mins) and Jareth Wischmeyer had 1s/2ga (14 mins).




Waterloo 12 - Mynderse 5  

 --  Waterloo started with a 4-1 first quarter and added five unanswered goals in the second as the finished with a 12-5 win over Mynderse in the last game of the regular season for both teams.

Scoring for Waterloo were Rob Goodenow (2g-1a), Pete Vacca (2g-2a), Jeff Wadhams (1g-2a), Dylan Chilson (2g), Chance Lowry (2g-1a), Jon Asbury (1g-1a), Joe Shaffer (1g) and Tyler DeCirce (1g). Zach Ramirez had 10s/5ga for the Indians.

Scoring for Mynderse were Steve Lucchesi (1g-1a), Nick Giovannini (1g-1a), Charlie Barbay (1a), Mike Warrick (1g) and Jerry Jones (2g). Tim Trickler had 6s/12ga for the Blue Devils


Bath 16 - Batavia 6 

bath-bat --  Bath started with five unanswered goals in the first quarter and led 7-3 at the half as they cruised to at 16-6 win over visiting Batavia. Bath's "Senior Day" inspired a great overall performance by the entire team as seven players shared in the scoring of sixteen goals and eleven assists. Face off men, Andy Nesbitt and Tyler Hutcheson helped the Rams maintain possession by winning 17 of 23 face offs.

Scoring for the Bath were Zach Reed (5g-5a), Tyler Reed (4g-2a), Nick Rossi (2g-1a), Brian Gable (2g), Andy Nesbitt (1g-1a), Mark Martuscello (1g-1a), Drew Wager (1g) and Brent Harrison (1a). Chris Wolfer had 19s/6ga for the Rams who finish their season at 9-8.

Scoring for Batavia were Chip Chapman (4g-1a), Kyle Maniace (1g-1a), Vin Pedro (2a) and Joe Pedro (1g). Goalie Theo Hill made 19s/16ga for the Blue Devils.