Saturday: No More undefeated teams

- Brighton, Section V's last undefeated team, fell to a stoked up team from McQuaid Jesuit who won 9-6. Fairport defeated the strong Section III teams from Jamesville-DeWitt and Penfield beat West Seneca East (Section VI). Other winners include Penn Yan, Victor, Waterloo,Geneva, Canandaigua, Hamburg (over Schroeder by one goal), Thomas, and Newark.



Fairport 12 - Jamesville-DeWitt 8  

 special  --  Fairport never trailed in their victory over Section III team Jamesville-Dewitt in their 12-8 win. The Red fpt-jdRaiders won the first three quarters and tied in the fourth quarter. The only time that the Red Raiders did not lead was at 0-0 and 3-3.

Fairport's Aaron Jones scored the opening goal after his pass to the crease attackman was deflected and end up in the back of the net. Timothy Cook scored the next Fairport goal after driving through three defenseman as he fought to the crease for his shot. Jake Bratek scored the first JD goal. Bratek cleared the ball and after reaching the restraining line, just stopped and rocketed the ball into the upper corner. Bratek, who finished the game with two goals for the Red Rams, celebrated his birthday today. Fairport scored one more goal in the first quarter. JD's Cameron Stone shot the ball from GLE and the officials, after initially signaling a good goal, called off the goal. The Red Raiders took the opportunity and pushed the ball up into their offensive end of the field. Connor Lowe scored on the fast-break for the Red Raiders. Fairport led 3-1 after the first.

JD scored the first goal of the second quarter when Jeffrey Sciera drove from the top of the cage and was stopped by two defensive Red Raiders; however, after bouncing off and continuing his drive, he was not picked up and fired a shot from 10 yards away and uncontested. Joseph Shepard scored the tying goal for JD with an assist from Colin Short. Short passed the ball from behind the crease, across to the open Shepard for the goal. This was the closest that the Red Rams came to seeing the lead. Fairport scored the next three goals.

fpt-jdLowe scored the next Fairport goal with a sweeping drive from right to left, where the goaltender was screened. Lowe fired the shot off-stick to the upper corner for the goal. Goalie Gordon Gehring played a strong game, making a number of good saves; however, he finished the game with only eight. Andrew Hays scored the next three Fairport goals before the end of the half. Hays scored his first goal from a drive by Lowe. Lowe started high and after he was turned away towards the sideline, he turned back and found Hays open near the center of the field. The second Hays goal was an unassisted straight drive down the right side.

Cameron Stone interrupted the Fairport scoring streak with an extra-man goal (assisted by Short). JD scored on three out of four opportunities during man-up. Two of the three goals, however, were scored while two men up. Hays' last goal of the quarter was scored with a pass from Jones. Jones hit Hays on the outside and he fired a hard side-arm shot to the upper corner for the goal. Fairport led 7-4 at halftime.

In the third quarter the teams alternated scoring. Fairport scored the first goal with Martin Manilla driving from behind the cage. JD's Bratek scored the next goal during another two man-up situation with an outside shot (Eric DeJohn assisted). Fairport's next goal was scored after Brendan Saylor picked up a loose ball behind the cage and drove hard around the cage, shooting as he fell. JD's Short scored the next goal (again assisted by DeJohn). Short scored off a cross-crease pass. Saylor scored the final goal of the third quarter with 0:14 remaining in his traditional drive from behind fashion.

fpt-jdIn the fourth quarter, JD scored the first goal as DeJohn took the opportunity to score a goal after assisted the previous two. DeJohn scored on a fast-break (assisted by Stone) that began with a take by Joseph Daddario. Saylor added his third and final goal of the game with a drive from the right side of the crease. Saylor shot the ball underhand and backhanded as he basically scooped it into the upper corner (off-stick). The final Fairport goal was scored by Jones with an assist from Manilla during an extra-man opportunity. Fairport only scored on 1 out of 3 chances. Stone scored the final goal of the game for the Red Rams.

At the face-off Mike Lehmann finished with 15/22 (with 5 of the 7 losses coming on technical losses). Steven Danylyshyn was also 1/2 at the face-off. Andrew Kristy, once again, was a key defensive player for the Red Raiders. Kristy, a junior, has become an important defensive player for the Red Raiders, as well as a demonstrative presence on the wing during face-offs. Kristy finished the game with 10 ground balls (including 6 from the face-off wing). Lehmann (6) and Manilla (4) also had ground balls for the Red Raiders. Sciera (3) led in ground balls for the Red Rams. Daddario, Shepard and Michael Fiacco all had two takes for JD. James Cunningham had three takes for Fairport.

fpt-jdOne problem for the Red Rams was their shooting percentage. The Red Rams took 32 shots, with only 13 (41%) on cage which resulted in their 8 goals (25%). Fairport took 30 shots, with 20 on cage (66%) resulting in their 12 goals (40%). Shot for shots, the same percentage of shots scored for Fairport as hit the cage for JD. In the goal, Kris Sterzin finished with 5 saves for Fairport.

Scoring for Fairport were Saylor (3g), Hays (3g), Lowe (2g-1a), Jones (2g-1a), Manilla (1g-1a) and Cook (1g).

Scoring for Jamesville-Dewitt were Stone (2g-1a), DeJohn (1g-2a), Short (1g-2a), Bratek (2g), Shepard (1g) and Sciera (1g).


fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


Hamburg 9 - Schroeder 8   

 --  Hamburg and Webster Schroeder each won two quarters in today's match-up with Hamburg winning 9-8 in the end. Three of the four quarters were decided by one goal with Schroeder winning the first and third and Hamburg winning the second. The Bulldogs won the second quarter by two goals and that made all the difference. Hamburg remains undefeated at 6-0.

Hamburg struck first with Matt Springer scoring (unassisted). Springer led in scoring for the Bulldogs with 2g-2a. Schroeder's Pete Noto came back and scored two back to back goals for the Warriors; the first was unassisted and the second was assisted by Chris Topping. Topping finished with 7/16 at the face-off and 1g-2a. Schroeder led 2-1 after the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Schroeder kept up the scoring with Cody Consul scoring (unassisted). Consul finished the game with 2g-1a. Schroeder led 3-1 with 11:00 remaining in the second quarter. Hamburg then scored four straight unanswered goals, which in the end made the difference in them winning the game. Ryan Tilley (assisted by Adam Dings) scored on man-up. The Bulldogs were 2/2 at man-up in the match-up. Jon Crean scored (unassisted) to tie the game at 3-3. Shawn Needham scored only 7 second later to retake the lead for Hamburg. With 1:21 remaining in the quarter, Tilley scored (assisted by Crean). Hamburg led 5-3. Schroeder's Chris Mason scored (unassisted) for the Warriors to keep them within one goal going into halftime.

In the third quarter the Warriors came out strong with Brett Farrell scoring (assisted by Consul). Schroeder had tied the score with 9:50 remaining in the third quarter. Over the next five minutes the Bulldogs added two goals. Springer and Ryan Feuerstein (assisted by Springer) both scored for Hamburg. The latter goal was their second man-up goal. With 4:05 remaining Consul and Topping hooked up another Warrior goal. Only 41 seconds later the Warriors tied the game again at 7 with an unassisted goal by Farrell. The third quarter ended with the score tied 7-7.

Hamburg won the final quarter by one goal and that was enough to win the game. Feuerstein scored first for the Bulldogs. Topping added the final goal for Schroeder. With 3:11 remaining Crean scored the game winning goal off an assist from Springer.

In the cage both goalies were about equal with Scott Tota (Schroeder) finishing with 8 saves (47%) and James Maxwell finishing with 8 saves (50%). The Bulldogs were big winners at the face-off. Mark Stamer was 6/9 and Crean was 5/9 for Hamburg.

Needham (7), Feuerstein (4), Maxwell (4) and Crean (4) led in ground balls for the Bulldogs. Topping (5) and Blood (4) led for the Warriors. Justin Strain and Eric Chadderdon both had three takes for Hamburg and Blood was awarded the lone take for Schroeder.

Scoring for Hamburg were Springer (2g-2a), Crean (2g-1a), Feuerstein (2), Tilley (2g), Needham (1g) and Dings (1a).

Scoring for Schroeder were Consul (2g-1a), Topping (1g-2a), Noto (2g), Farrell (2g) and Mason (1g).


fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


McQuaid Jesuit 9 - Brighton 6  

 special  --  The last undefeated team in the Section fell today when McQuaid Jesuit posted a 9-6 win over cross-town neighbor, Brighton (6-1).

McQuaid Jesuit started the scoring with the first two goals. Two and a half minutes into the game, junior midfielder Nick Wolak scored after receiving the ball from junior attackman Mike Crawford who was behind the cage. Two minutes later, Crawford drove from the top of the box and threw a bounce shots past Brighton Goalie, Kyle Hohmann. With 3:10 left in the quarter, the Barons scored their first goal of the game. McQuaid Jesuit's sophomore goalie, Ethan Matteson made a save and the ball bounced out in front of the crease. During the scrambled for possession, sophomore middie Mike Asselin swept the ball into the goal. The quarter ended with the Knights up 2-1.

Just eight seconds into the second quarter, McQuaid Jesuit was hit with a thirty second pushing call and after setting up their "diamond" pattern, the Barons moved the ball from Steven Cregan to CJ Wool at the top, front slot. Wool used a bounce shot for the score and the 2-2 tie. There was a large amount of the game spent in transition, with each team clearing the ball only to loose possession and start back on defense. Both teams threw the ball out of bounds a number of times.

Hohmann made eight saves in the second quarter and ended the game with a total of seventeen. The saves were critical and kept Brighton right in the game at that point. The Knights did score the last two goals of the half giving them a 4-2 lead at the break. mcq-briSophomore attackman Chris Barilla made a tight cut from the right, around the crease and shot from the corner of the goal line extended. His goal at 5:39 was followed at 3:39 by Ryan Williams who hit the back of the net with a blazing side arm shot, after receiving the ball from Jack Pomeroy.

Brighton was down by two at the top of the third quarter, but scored three in a row, all within less then a two minute period. Wool scored first, catching a tight crease feed from Mark Henrichs. Maliek Likely tied the game at 4-4 when he scored (unassisted) after his full-field clear and with a flag down along the way. The third goal, credited as a "Team Goal" started with a brilliant interception by Matteson while in the goal for the Knights. Unfortunately, after catching the ball, it rolled out of his stick and into the net, scoring for Brighton. McQuaid Jesuit tied the game at 5-5 when Alex Pochodylo scored his own fast break clearing goal (assisted by Nick Wolak ). Wolak then added his own clearing goal (at 5:30) to give the Knights a 6-5 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The Knights continued to score into the last quarter, building an 8-5 lead after another clearing fast break with defenseman Jake Bailey passing the ball to Pat Jenkins. James Sturnick beat his many during a circular offensive pattern for an unassisted goal at 8:18. Brighton came back with a man up goal from Evan Davis who shot from the top right. That was the last goal for the Barons, however, although they had a couple of opportunities. Sturnick scored his second goal for McQuaid Jesuit, after the Knights spent more than one minute playing catch inside the restraining area. His drive from behind the cage to the left, ended with an underhand shot which ended the scoring with a 9-6 victory over Brighton.

Scoring for McQuaid Jesuit were Nick Wolak (2g-1a), Mike Crawford (1g-1a), Chris Barilla (1g), Ryan Williams (1g), Jack Pomeroy (1a), Alex Pochodylo (1g), Pat Jenkins (1g), Jake Bailey (1a) and James Sturnick (2g). Ethan Matteson ended the game with10s/6ga for the Knights.

Scoring for Brighton were

Mike Asselin (1g), CJ Wool (2g), Steven Cregan (1a), Mark Henrichs (1a), Evan Davis (1g), Maliek Likely (1g) and one "Team Goal". Kyle Hohmann had 17s/9ga for the Barons.


Penfield 13 - West Seneca East 9  

 --  Penfield used strong performances in the second and fourth quarters to defeat West Seneca East (Section VI) 13-9.

West Seneca East scored first with 8:32 remaining in the first quarter. James Dwyer scored the first Patriot goal (with Tucker Nelson assisting) during a extra-man offense set. The Patriots scored two man-up goals on four attempts and held West Seneca East scoreless on six opportunities. The Trojans scored on the ensuing face-off only 18 seconds later to take a 2-1 lead into the second quarter.

The Trojans came out strong in the early second quarter scoring the first two goals to increase their lead to 4-1. Penfield's Dan O`Brien score unassisted at 9:14 to bring the Patriots to back within two goals. Only 20 second later the Trojans scored again to maintain their three goal lead. Penfield came back and scored the next five straight goals (four in the second quarter). Dwyer scored (unassisted); followed by O`Brien scoring (assisted by Kevin Westcott). Alex Miles then scored three straight goals for the Patriots; the first was unassisted, the second was assisted by O`Brien and the third was assisted by Nelson. At the end of the first half the Patriots led 6-5.

Miles third goal took the Patriots to 7-5 early in the third quarter. The Trojans added their one goal of the quarter next. Westcott and Dwyer scored for Penfield to maintain the two goal lead after three quarters.

Dwyer started the final quarter with a goal for Penfield. West Seneca East added a goal on 10 second later. However, Penfield scored four straight unanswered goals; Dwyer (assisted by Westcott), Nelson (unassisted), Miles (unassisted) and Tyler Zweifel (assisted by Dwyer). The final goal of the game was scored by West Seneca East with 0:48 remaining in the game.

Four of the Trojan goals came with 30 seconds of the previous goal (6 coming within one minute).

In the cage the Trojan goalie finished with 11 saves (48%). Brady Del Pozzo played the majority of the game for Penfield with 12 saves (60%). Jamie Solomon finished the game with 1 save (50%) for Penfield.

Scoring for Penfield were Dwyer (4g-2a), Miles (4g), O`Brien (2g-1a), Nelson (1g-2a), Westcott (1g-2a) and Zweifel (1g).


Newark 8 - Bloomfield-Honeoye 5  

updated  --  After a 1-1 tie at the end of the first quarter, Newark took the lead at the half (3-2) and then won the third quarter 4-1 as the finished with an 8-5 win over visiting Bloomfield-Honeoye. Defenseman, Robert Camblin led the Red's ground ball effort with six. Dominic Camblin had 17s/5ga for Newark.

Scoring for Newark were Jack Timerson (3g), Luke Hartman (1g-1a), John Gonzalez (1g-2a) and RJ VanDeMortel (3g-1a).

Scoring for B-H were Sean Beaney (3g-1a), Zach Blain (1g), Kyle Fox (1g) and Zach Stevens (1a).


Thomas 20 - Brockport 5  

updated  --  Thomas held Brockport to a single goal in the second half on their way to a 20-5 victory over the Blue Devils.

Scoring for Thomas were Jack Hinderland (5g-3a), Brad Hutton (5g-2a), JT Hauck (4a), Kyle Rothfuss (2g-2a), Ken Tomeno (2g-1a), Billy Gurowski (2g-1a), Kyle LaVallee (1g-2a), Nick Scalzo (3g) and Pat Morrill (1a). Jim O'Neil and Austin Fox split halves in the cage; O'Neil finished with 2 saves (66%) and Fox finished with 5 saves (56%).

Scoring for Brockport were Jake Burns (3g), John Pacitto (2g), Dylan White (1a) and Will Glynn (1a). In the cage, Dylan White and Chris Ioannone split time. White played for 40 minutes and finished with 19 saves (56%) and Ioannone finished with 4 saves (44%).


Canandaigua 20 - Pal-Mac 2  

updated  --  Thirteen players from Canandaigua made the offensive scorebook as the Braves defeated Palmyra-Macedon 20-2 at Evans Field this morning. It was running time in the second half, as CA started the third quarter up 14-1.

Scoring for Canandaigua were Deven Alves (3g), Tanner Scharr (3g), Brian Scheetz (1g-3a), Marshall Johnson (2g-1a), Tom LaCrosse (1g-1a), Collin Peck (1g-1a), Bryan Peck (2g-1a), Parker Weeks (1a), Eric Schott (1g), Shane Dobies (1g), Brandon Thomson (2g-2a), Jordan Reals (2g) and Sam Post (1g-1a). Nick King played the first half and made 3s/1ga. Anthony DeLeo played the next 14 minutes, and 0s/1ga and LaShawn Williams played the last 10 minutes and added 2s/0ga for the Braves (6-2).

Scoring for Pal-Mac were Mike Russell (2a), Mike DeMar (1g) and Sean Nolan (1g). Tim Doyle played 40 Minutes and had 18s/18ga and Chris Merritt Played 8 Minutes and had 2s/2ga.


Geneva 14 - Mynderse 0  

updated  --  It was a shutout today for Geneva as they defeated their hosts, Mynderse Academy 14-0. Although the Panthers scored their first goal just eight seconds into the game, it took them a while to to get the second goal, which came with 1:40 left the the quarter. They went ton to score ten more before half time.

Scoring for Geneva were Will Brennan (3g-1a), Zach Koczent (2g-1a), Billy Eddington (2g-1a), Tyler Travis (2g-1a), Chris Tapscott (1g), Chris Pitifer (1g), Gary Parmalee (1g), Jeff Springmeier (1g), Ben Chilbert (1g), Patrick Roll (1a), Frank Triana (1a), Mike Warner (1a), Dan Pufnock (1a) and Ross Dinan (playing as a midfielder in the second half 1a). Ross Dinan started in the goal and had 4s/0ga and Billy Craft added 4s/0ga in the second half for the panthers.

Mynderse goalie, Tim Trinkler had 19s/14ga for the Blue Devils.


Waterloo 22 - Marcus Whitman 8  

 --  Ten different Waterloo players made the scorebook on their way to a 22-8 victory over visiting Marcus Whitman this afternoon.

Scoring for Waterloo were Rob Goodenow (4g), Pete Vacca (5g-2a), Jeff Wadhams (2g-7a), Chance Lowry (3g), Jon Asbury (3g-2a), Tim Frier (1g), Mike Bradley (1g), Storm Bohling (1g-1a), Joe Shaffer (1g-1a) and Joe Osterhout (1g). Zach Ramirez had 13s/8ga for the Indians

Scoring for Marcus Whitman were Mark Personale (1g), Shawn Allen (1g,1a), Jaime Vogt (1g), Jordan Hathorn (2g), Jurrell Thompson (2g) and Perry Mortensen (1g). Bobby Mason made 7s/22ga for the Wildcats.


Victor 6 - Livonia 2  

updated  --  Victor was the 6-2 winner of Livonia this afternoon. The Blue Devils held the Bulldogs scoreless in three quarters, only allowing Livonia to score in the second quarter.

Victor scored the first three goals of the game, with two in the first quarter and one in the second quarter. Vince Pettrone scored the first goal (assisted by Trevor O'Shea) followed by Mitch Rupp scoring (assisted by Luke Wieser). Overall, Victor had seven players with either a goal or an assist. The Blue Devils led 2-0 after the first quarter.

O'Shea, with Pettrone repaying the first goal with an assist of his own, scored the first goal of the second quarter to take Victor to a 3-0 lead. The Bulldogs came back scoring two goals before the end of the quarter to bring the score to 3-2 going into halftime. Charlie Bergen scored the first Bulldog goal at 9:58. With only 0:13 remaining in the half, Andrew Smith and Matt Girolmo hooked up for another Livonia goal.

In the third quarter, Victor's Pettrone added two more goals. The latter goal was assisted by Dale Mattice and scored during extra-man offense. The Blue Devils were 1/4 in man-up. Victor led 5-2 after three quarters. In the fourth quarter TJ DiSanto scored (assisted by Connor Kimball) for the final Victor goal.

Coach Brett Wood felt that his defense did well considering the amount of time Victor had with they all. "This was another game where I believe our defense really stepped up and played a solid game. Even in a loss, when your defense plays close to 40 minutes on their end and gives up 6 we look at it as a positive effort for our team."

In the cage, Justin Becker finished with 11 saves (65%) for Livonia. While, Kevin Donnelly finished with 8 saves (80%) for the Blue Devils.

Scoring for Victor were Pettrone (3g-1a), O'Shea (1g-1a), TJ DiSanto (1g), Mitch Rupp (1g), Connor Kimball (1a), Dale Mattice (1a) and Luke Wieser (1a).

Scoring for Livonia were Smith (1g), Bergen (1g) and Girolmo (1a).


fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


Penn Yan 17 - Midlakes 0  

updated  --  On a breezy, summer like morning at Midlakes, the Penn Yan Mustangs ran their record to 7-1 with a 17-0 shutout of the Screaming Eagles at Ollie Cook Field. The Mustangs played solid defense recording nine takes. Ethan Kamholtz was tested with several Midlakes shots on an extended possession early in the first quarter but came up with several saves to keep the Midlakes off the board. Kamholtz finished with 6 saves in 36 minutes of action while fellow net minder, Cody Richardson, played the final period and recorded 1 save.

Scotty Miller had 4 GBs in the defensive end of the field for Penn Yan while Timmy Dyer and Kamholtz each had three and Ryan Kerrick scooped up two. On the offensive end of the field, Adam Trombley led the Orange and Blue with five GBs, while Ty Trombley had four and John Linnan three. Midlakes held the advantage in face offs, winning 11 to 8.

Scoring for Penn Yan were Baird Wilber (1g), Andy Button (1g), Preston Maciejewski (1g-1a), Cole Castle (2g), Anthony Luppino (2g), Adam Stork (1g-2a), Nate Nichols (2g), Matt Osgood (3g-1a), John Linnan (2g-3a), and Adam Trombley (2g-2a).

Tucker Jensen had 10s/17ga for the Eagles (4-2).