Saturday: Penn Yan 6 - Fairport 5 - Down to the Wire

- In a game that was close right to the end, Penn Yan won a 6-5 victory over visiting Fairport. McQuaid Jesuit beat visiting Loyola Academy (IL), 12-5. Schroeder was a 10-5 winner over Geneva. Other winners include HFL, Brighton, Pal-Mac, Binghamton (over Penfield 13-12) and Aquinas.



Penn Yan 6 - Fairport 5 

updated special  --  This was an expected "Big Game" for both teams. Penn Yan needed to prove that it is capable of beating py-fpta strong Monroe County Class A team, and Fairport needed to prove that it could beat the eleven time Section C Champions. The game did not disappoint lacrosse fans as both teams played hard and exciting lacrosse for the entire game. In the end, Penn Yan was a 6-5 winner over visiting Fairport.

Excitement was high in the pre game, as Fairport shook off the bus ride and Penn Yan worked out the butterflies. After a number of trips up and down the field in the early part of the game, Fairport scored first when junior attackman Brendan Saylor drove from behind the cage on a tight "a cut" from the right side to score at 8:23. It turned out to be the only score and Fairport was ahead 1-0 at the end of the first quarter.

In the last minute of the quarter, Fairport was assessed three penalties, all at the same time (two slashed and an off sides call). The Fairport man down unit knocked down a pass and senior defenseman Dave Foley picked up the ground ball. Fairport was able to take off some significant time of the penalty clock and Penn Yan did not convert.

At the top of the second quarter, the Red Raiders scored again gaining a two goal lead. After a flag was thrown, Fairport started a circle offense and the ball moved to Saylor who crossed the GLE. Although he was preparing to shoot, Aaron Jones, who was adjacent, yelled "One More". Saylor obliged and Jones picked up the goal.

Penn Yan was feeling the pressure, but senior goalie Ethan Kamholtz fired up his team with two point-blank one-on-one saves that produced screams from the Penn Yan stands. Matt Osgood put the Mustangs on the scoreboard at 8:33 when he circled from behind the cage and scored on a feed from Adam Stork.

Goalie play in the game was extraordinary on both ends of the field. Kamholtz ended the game with 13 saves with at least five that brought loud cheers from the crowd. Fairport goalie, Kris Sterzin was equally thrilling, with three incredible saves in the py-fptsecond quarter alone. Sterzin ended the game with nine saves.

With less than two minutes left in the first half, John Linnan scored an unassisted goal on a drive from the left to send the teams into the break tied at two.

After halftime, the teams took a few trips back and forth, up and down the field. After inverting key midfielder players and running the ball in a circle offense, Linnan looked for an inside feed and finding none, passed the ball to junior middie Adam Trombley on the outside. Trombley scored with a hard bounce shot at 7:49.

Penalties were more than plentiful in the physical game as the officials were not willing to let errors on either side go unpunished. Penn Yan ended with eight penalties and Fairport ended with seven. Both teams scored once. The Mustangs scored their man up goal at 6:37 when Cole Castle scored on an inside feed and a quick spin after receiving the ball from Matt Osgood. That goal gave Penn Yan a two goal (4-2) lead.

It was then Fairport's turn, as they scored the next two goals to tie the teams at four. Senior middie Connor Lowe scored with a pass from Jones and a drive from the top left at 5:42. Lowe score again at 2:36 on a drive from the right side and after beating his man won his one-on-one with Kamholtz. Penn Yan scored a go-ahead goal with 0:03.6 left on the clock, as he took the ball right to goal on a full-field Mustang clear. Penn Yan led 5-4 after three quarters.

py-fptThe Mustangs went up by two at the 9:21 mark in the fourth when Osgood scored on clearing inside fast break. He received the ball from junior attackman Nate Nichols and as Sterzin came out of the goal to play him, Osgood, shot the ball around him.

Despite the numerous commands by Head Coach Brian Hobart and Assistant Coach Harry Queener to control the ball and take time off the clock, with just under three minutes left in the game, a number of youthful Mustangs drove to the cage. Sterzin made one save, but the Penn Yan attack got it back. The Mustangs attacked the goal again, as their coaches were emphatically commanding that they control the ball. The Fairport defense got possession and during their successful clear, Penn Yan was hit with a push at 1:42. Fairport scored on the penalty (at 1:37) when Jones hit freshman attackman Derek DeJoe for an outside shot.

Face offs were controlled throughout the game by Fairport's Mike Lehman who won nine of fourteen. py-fpt

This was a wonderful lacrosse game. If every game of lacrosse were played with this degree of intensity, heart and enthusiasm, there simply would not be enough room in the stadium for the fans.

Scoring for Penn Yan were Matt Osgood (2g-1a), Adam Stork (1a), John Linnan (2g-1a), Adam Trombley (1g), Cole Castle (1g) and Nate Nichols (1a). Ethan Kamholtz had 13/5ga for Penn Yan (4-1).

Scoring for Fairport were Brendan Saylor (1g-1a), Aaron Jones (1g-2a), Connor Lowe (2g) and Derek DeJoe (1g). Kris Sterzin recorded 9s/6ga for Fairport (5-1).


HFL 17 - Scotia-Glenville - 0  

 --  Jordan Gushue 15 won 18 face offs for Honeoye Falls-Lima as they defeated Scotia-Glenville (Section II) 17-0. Junior goalie Jay Tallon took credit for the rare shutout, collecting 3 saves (one in each of the first three quarters). A Cougar highlight for the game was when foreign exchange student, Fred Kaksonen from Finland scored his first goal. Midfielder Alex Moyer led the team in Ground balls with six.

Scoring for HFL were Bryan Gardner (5g-4a), Eric Boike (3g-1a ), Jeff Roth 2g 2a, Jason Breau (1g-1a), Tommy O'Leary (1g-1a ), TJ Walsh (1g-1a ), Freddy Kaksonen (1g ), Jake Lee (1g), Pat Jenkins (1g ), Alex Moyer (1g ), Clai Kuhn (1a) and Jordan Gushue (1a).


Binghamton 13 - Penfield 12  

 --  Binghamton defeated Penfield 13-12 in today's contest. Brady Del Pozzo played the entire game in the net for Penfield finishing the game with 8 saves. Mike Vacanti was 8/15 at the face-off draw and James Dwyer was 5/10. Dwyer led in ground balls for Penfield with 12.

Scoring for Penfield were Tucker Nelson (3g-3a), Kevin Westcott (3g-1a), James Dwyer (3g), Mike Malloy (1g-1a), Dan O`Brien (1g), Jordan O'Brien (1g) and Alex Miles (1a).


McQuaid Jesuit 12 - Loyola 5   

 --  Visiting Loyola traveling to Section Five this mcq-loyweek went one-for-two, as their host, McQuaid Jesuit, won a decided 12-5 victory today. Loyola Academy from Illinois, is coached by former Geneva and Hobart standout attackman, Rob Snyder, who brought his team on Spring Break to see lacrosse, Section Five style.

McQuaid Jesuit scored the first eight goals on their way to a 12-5 win over visiting Loyola Academy. James Sturnick of McQuaid Jesuit scored the first two goals of the game. The first was with 9:18 left when he worked the ball around the right side of the defense and found a shooting lane and fired it past the Loyola goalie. His second goal came with 5:30 left when he took the ball from goalie Pat Sheridan on a clearing pass and ran the ball up the field, dodged a number of defenders and rifled a shot top right corner to give McQuaid Jesuit a 2-0 lead.

McQuaid Jesuit defender Tim Caton added the third goal when he also took a clear pass from Goalie Ethan Matteson, drove the length of the field dodging around players and put a bounce shot passed the Loyola goalie. Also scoring for McQuaid Jesuit in the first was Eric Wright, Pat Jenkins, and Nick Wolak giving McQuaid Jesuit a 6-0 lead after one quarter.

The Second quarter started out pretty even with both teams getting scoring chances. It wasn't until 5:18 left did McQuaid Jesuit's James Sturnick score with a rip from the top of the circle to make the score 7-0. McQuaid Jesuit's Jack Pomeroy added the seventh goal after he intercepted a bad clear pass. He took the ball right towards the goal and fired off a hard shot while he was in the air. Loyola finally scored its first goal with 4:12 left in the half. The Score at the end of the first half was McQuaid Jesuit 8 Loyola Academy 1.

Scoring for McQuaid Jesuit were Alex Pochodylo (2g-2a), James Sturnick (2g-2a), Nick Wolak (2g-1a), Jack Pomeroy (1g-1a), Tim Caton (1g-1a), Mike Crawford (1g), Eric Wright (1g), Pat Jenkins (1g), Ben Napoli (1g) and Alex Pautler (1a). Ethan Matteson recorded 8s/5ga in the goal for McQuaid Jesuit.


Schroeder 10 - Geneva 5  

special  --  Schroeder gained momentum throughout the second half and finished with a strong 10-5 win over Geneva. Schroeder started off in a close contest with back and forth scoring, however, the Warriors came together late in the third and early in the fourth quarter with a five goal run.

schro-genSchroeder scored the opening goal with Cody Consul driving from behind the cage for the unassisted goal. Geneva came back with a goal of their own from Chris Tapscott. Tapscott pulled out his defenseman to above the restraining line and drove by him and straight into the goal. The score was tied at one at the end of the first quarter.

At the top of the second quarter, Geneva scored with a quick inside dodge by Mike Warner. Warner led the Panthers with 2g-1a. The next two goals occurred within 0:13 seconds. Pete Noto, who finished 9/12 at the face-off, scored two back to back goals on fast-breaks after technical face-off wins. Noto won five face-offs on technical wins (Chris Topping added two more wins by technical and finished 5/7). Noto picked up the ball after the technical and didn't stop until it was in the back of the net. The quarter continued with strong back and forth play, with neither team willing to give up the next goal. Geneva tied the game with 2:36 remaining on an extra-man goal. Warner scored with an assist from Patrick Roll. There were eleven penalties in the game and four of the opportunities were scored on. Schroeder, not to be held down, scored again before the break for halftime. Mark Saltrelli scored with an assist from Consul. Saltrelli was sitting on the crease and received a tight inside pass from Consul on his drive from behind. Schroeder led 4-3 at the half.

During the second half, the Warriors kept up the same enthusiasm, but the Panthers had trouble keeping with the pace for all four quarters. Geneva scored the first goal with Warner looking inside to roll for the goal. The Warriors then went on their scoring streak with five straight goals. Consul and Chris Mason hooked up for the first goal on a man-up opportunity. Noto, schro-genmuch like his first two goals, scored two more back to back goals with drives starting at the top. For his first goal he drove down the left side and for his second he drove down the right. The final goal of the third quarter was scored by Topping (assisted by Vin Barilla) on an outside shot. The Warriors led 8-4 after three quarters.

Brett Farrell and Noto hooked up on the first goal of the fourth quarter (again during man-up) with an inside look. The final Panther goal was scored during man-up. Tapscott passed the ball to Will Brennan who was open on the inside. Brennan shot low, which bounced into the upper corner and past goalie Scott Tota. Tota finished the game with 7 saves (58%). Schroeder's Mason scored the final goal of the game during a fast-break.

Ross Dinan played an extremely strong game for the Panthers between the pipes finishing with 18 saves (64%). Dinan was one of the reasons that Geneva stayed in the game and kept up the pressure on the Warrior shooters.

Jake Spadoni (5), Ryan Martin (4) and Noto (4) led in ground balls for the Warriors. Bobby Martin (6), Tyler Travis (5) and Dinan (4) led for the Panthers. Travis had two takes for the Panthers. Mike Blood led in takes for Schroeder with 3 (Martin and Topping each added two as well).

Scoring for Schroeder were Noto (4g-1a), Consul (2g-1a), Mason (1g-1a), Saltrelli (1g), Topping (1g), Farrell (1g) and Barilla (1g).

Scoring for Geneva were Warner (2g-1a), Tapscott (1g-1a), Roll (1g-1a) and Brennan (1g).


fullstatsFor a more complete look at the numbers, check out the full statistics


Brighton 8 - Victor 2  

 --  Brighton scored eight straight goals spanning four quarters to defeat Victor 8-2. The Barons held the Blue Devils scoreless for the final 42 minutes.

Victor got on the scoreboard first at 9:40 when attackman Trevor O'Shea scored, unassisted. The Blue Devils added to their lead at 7:48 when Brian Gilbert scored with an assist from Connor Kimball. bri-vicVictor took the early 2-0 lead. Brighton got on the scoreboard at 3:31 when sophomore attackman Brackett Bourne scored in transition from long stick middie Dan Pierce to cut into the Victor lead. The Barons added their second goal at 2:24 when Pierce added an unassisted goal to tie the game at 2-2. The first quarter ended with the score tied at two.

Brighton's defense tightened up for the remaining three and a half quarters as they did not allow another goal. Brighton took their first lead of the game at 8:23 in the second quarter when senior middie Evan Davis scored (unassisted), making the score 3-2 in favor of the Barons. Sophomore attackman CJ Wool pushed the lead to 4-2 at 5:42 with Davis recording the assist. Brighton tacked on another at 0:06 with sophomore Steven Cregan scoring his unassisted goal making the halftime score 5-2 in favor of the Brighton.

Sophomore Mike Asselin pushed the lead to 6-2 at 8:43 of the third with an assist from middie Maliek Likely. Senior Conor Stucki scored his first goal at 3:47 (unassisted) to increase the lead to 7-2 at the end of the third quarter.

Sophomore middie Max Brauer continued his face-off success in winning 9/13 in the game. Wool scored his second of the game at 5:32 in the fourth to secure the win (assisted by Stucki).

Sophomore long stick midfielder Dan Pierce scooped up 6 ground balls to lead that efforts for the Barons. The defensive unit of seniors Alex Jordan, Jake Silver and sophomore David Hill held the Victor offense to no goals for 40 minutes.

In the cage, Kyle Hohmann played the entire game for the Barons with 10 saves (83%). Kevin Donnelly and Steve Basile split time for the Blue Devils; Donnelly finished with 15 saves (68%) and Basile finished with 1 save (50%).

Scoring for Brighton were Wool (2g), Davis (1g-1a), Stucki (1g-1a), Pierce (1g-1a), Bourne (1g), Cregan (1g), Asselin (1g) and Likely (1a).

Scoring for Victor were Gilbert (1g) and O'Shea (1g).


Pal-Mac 10 - East Rochester 4  

 --  Palmyra-Macedon improved it's record to 2-1 with a 10-4 victory over visiting East Rochester today. After taking a 2-1 lead after the first quarter the Raiders led at half 6-2.

Scoring for Pal-Mac were Jamie Consler (1a), Edmund Williams (2g-1a), Mike DeMar (4g-1a), Jeff Kier (1g), Greg Kier (2g-2a) and Mike Russell (1g-1a). Goalie Tim Doyle finished with 16s/4ga.

Scoring for East Rochester were John Reiss (1g), Conor Boyer (1g-1a), Clayton Vaughn (1g) and Raymond Shalvoy (1g). Junior goalie Hayden Walsh had 13s/10ga for the Bombers.


Aquinas 17 - Erie Prep 2  

 --  Aquinas was the 17-2 winner over visiting Erie Prep (Pennsylvania), as the Little Irish started with a 6-1 lead at the end of the first quarter and led 11-2 ath the half.

Scoring for Aquinas were Austin Gorman (2g-2a), Klay Heston (3g-1a), Will Schnoeneck (2g), Anthony Bianchi (2g-2a), Mike Messina (2g-1a), Brendan Hall (1g), Dave Masin (1a), Manny Magliocco (1g-1a), Bernard Gauthier (1a), Chris Soprano (2g), Casey Vogl (1g), and Sam Torchia (1g). Dave Loomis played 3 quarters in goal and had 8s/2ga and Kraig Heston played one quarter and had 2s/0ga for Aquinas, now (7-1) .