- First Posted: 2018-09-27
- Updated: 2019-03-31 21:53:02
Rule Changes for 2019 Announced
The NFHS Rules Committee has announced their list of rules changes for 2018 and have been approved by the FHHS Board of Directors.
Over a dozen changes have been made starting with three in the equipment section, three in the play of the game section, six in the personal foul section and four in the technical foul section.
Some of the interesting changes include:
- Beginning in 2021 goalie chest protectors must meet NOCSAE safety standards.
- A new definition of a shot which states that it must be made when the ball is parallel to or above the goal line extended. It also states that the shot can be from a stick or can be kicked or otherwise physically propelled.
- A goal is not counted if, at the end of a period, under certain conditions.
- The "over and back" rules has new definitions about what can happen on the center line.
- There is a strengthening of the rules that relate to checking a player including the area of "blindsiding".
- Contact with the head or neck not incurs a three-minute non-releasable foul and could result in an ejection.
- A coach on the filed who obstructs play can receive an unsportsmanlike conduct foul.
- There are definitions for holding that state what is and is not permissible.