Game Day Reports for

Saturday June 8, 2019

Scores Today
Massapequa - 10Fairport - 6REPORT
John Jay - 7Victor - 9REPORT
Shoreham-Wading River - 12JD - 7REPORT
Briarcliff - 8LaFayette/Onondaga - 9REPORT


Massapequa - 10
Fairport - 6
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Massapequa 3 3 2 2   10
  Fairport 1 2 1 2   6


Massapequa Wins Second State Title

- Massapequa won their second State Title in school history with a 10-6 win over Fairport this morning.  The Chiefs won their first title in 2014 with a 16-2 win over Fayetteville-Manlius. Fairport vs Massepequa The Chiefs scored the opening two goals and led throughout the contest.  They won the first three quarters (and tied 2-2 in the fourth).  Senior midfielder Thomas Greenblatt had a demonstrative game and finished with 3g-3a. He scored or assisted four of the first five Chief goals to set the pace in the first half.  Goalie Nicholas Squicciarini recorded 5 of his 9 saves in the first quarter and held the Red Raiders to only a single goal in the opening quarter.  For the Red Raiders, Klay Stuver led in scoring with 2g-1a.  Goalie Tim Defendis recorded 10 saves (50%) between the pipes.  Another key to the Chief’s success included face-off midfielder Angelo Petrakis who finished the game with 15/20 face-off wins with a team leading seven ground balls.

Fairport vs MassepequaMassapequa scored the first goals with Garrett Gibbons scoring the first. He scored on a drive down the right alley.  Four minutes later, Greenblatt got his first assist with a pass from the upper right corner to Colin Gleason who was open on the right side GLE.  The first Red Raider goal was scored with 2:43 left in the quarter.  The play began with a check from defender Connor Fundis at near midfield.  He took the ball away and forced it quickly upfield.  Caleb Kaiser fed Kole Stuver across the crease on a fast-break goal.  The final goal of the quarter was a single player drive by Greenblatt with 2:11 left on the clock.  The Chiefs led 3-1 after 12 minutes.

The second quarter was the highest scoring with five goals between the two teams.  The Chiefs outscored Fairport 3-2 in the quarter to increase their lead to 6-3.  Massapequa scored the opener with Greenblatt assisting Sam Lutfi two minutes into play.  With 7:24 left in the half, Klay Stuver scored at the conclusion of a quick succession of shots.  The Chiefs responded with a pair.  The first began with a dodge by Gibbons. Fairport vs Massepequa After the slide, he dropped the ball off to Greeenblatt who crossed it to Eamon Hall.  Fairport added one more before halftime.  Kole Stuver began a dead ball play at the end line and quickly found a cutting Kody Gould at GLE.  He finished into the net with 1:42 left. 

In the third, Massapequa added two more and Fairport added one.  Gleason and Hall scored for the Chiefs and Rob Crowley scored for the Red Raiders.  All three goals were scored during un-even fast-break situations.  In the fourth, Massapequa started with the first two goals to take their largest lead at 10-4.  Both goals were scored by Greenblatt.  The Red Raiders scored with 5:51 and 5:41 off of goals from Colin Peers and Klay Stuver.  The Chiefs won the ensuing draw and held off the ball for the remainder of the game.  The Red Raiders had a number of late penalties that aided in the Chief’s stall; however, even during even-man play, the Chief had strong control of the ball. 

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


John Jay - 7
Victor - 9
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 John Jay 2 0 1 4   7
  Victor 1 1 4 3   9


Haller Leads Victor to Fourth State Title

- Victor vs John Jay" />Victor won their fourth NYS Finals in five years today with a 9-7 win over John Jay.  Blue Devil’s senior goalie Liam Haller was the pillar that lifted them to their title.  He finished with 21 saves (75%) and played one of the best games of his career in today’s matchup.  The Indians recorded 39 shots with 28 on cage (72% on cage).  Haller often faced not only the primary shot, but secondary shots from the doorstep; he was repeatedly on point and came up with multiple saves that were stellar.  Offensively, Jack LaRue (4g) and Camden Hay (3g-1a) led in scoring.  For John Jay, Jack Browne played the entire game between the pipes and recorded 2 saves.  Offensively, Dean Ford finished with 3g-1a.

The Blue Devils finished with 22 shots that only came from 4 players.  Andrew Nicolella took one shot (that resulted in his goal) with all the remaining shots coming from Joey Pezzimenti, Hay and LaRue.  Additionally, they had a lot of extra time with the ball due to faceoff midfielder Regan Endres finishing 12/18 at the draw.  He also recorded a team leading 12 ground balls.  The Chiefs started off strong, but had issues spanning around the second quarter.  They were held scoreless for 26 minutes spanning the end of the first to the beginning of the third.

Victor vs John Jay" />John Jay scored the opening two goals with Ford scoring the first with a drive from the top to the right flat.  Three minutes later, Luke Mercer scored with a sweep down the left side.  The Chiefs led 2-0 for just under a minute until Victor scored their opener.  LaRue scored with an inside feed from Pezzimenti.  The quarter ended with John Jay leading 2-1.  In the second quarter, only a single goal was scored.  Nicolella scored on a feed from behind the cage by Hay.  The game was tied 2-2 going into the half.

The third quarter was the defining quarter for the Blue Devils.  They scored the first four goals to take the lead and they never looked back.  Hay scored with a midrange outside shot and seven seconds later added another on a face-off fast-break.  Endres won the draw and then pushed the ball to Pezzimenti for the shot.  Hay scored his second and third back to back with a drive along the goal line and a fast-break (assisted by Pezzimenti).  The Blue Devils led 6-2 with 3:43 left in the third quarter.  Before the conclusion of the quarter, John Jay broke their scoreless streak with Ford scoring his second with a drive to the crease.

In the fourth quarter, Victor started off the scoring with Pezzimenti faking the first shot and finishing with a second while standing on the crease.  Victor was up 7-3 before John Jay started pulling back into the game.  The Chief scored the next three goals over a four-minute span.  Max Kesicki scored the first with an assist from Bryce Ford. Victor vs John Jay Two minutes later B. Ford scored his first with a slow break upfield and a drive straight to the crease.  The third goal, which pulled the scoring within one, was another goal by Kesicki.  This time with an assist from D. Ford.  He fed the ball from the GLE to the center top.  With 5:19 remaining in the game, John Jay had pulled within one goal.  The Blue Devils kept up the pressure with back to back goals by LaRue.  The final Victor goal was scored during extra-man offense on an open goal.  The Chiefs did score the final goal of the game with a 5-on-5 goal by D. Ford with 0:35 left; however, it was not enough to pull even.  With their fourth win, the Blue Devils move into a tie for 7th for the most State Title by a single team.  West Genesee still holds the record with 15 State Titles.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Shoreham-Wading River - 12
JD - 7
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Shoreham-Wading River 4 4 3 1   12
  JD 1 1 3 2   7


Shoreham-Wading River Wins Fourth State Title

- Shoreham-Wading River won their fourth State Title with a 12-7 win over Jamesville-Dewitt.  The Wildcats offensive was led by Xavier Arline with 5g-2a.  He was demonstrative on offense with both goals and assists and set the strong offensive pacing for the Wildcats.  Overall, SWR was strong on both sides of the field.  They played a strong defense that kept JD from taking shots or encouraged them to take bad shots. JD vs SWR Additionally, on offense, they kept driving to the cage with multiple scoring threats.  In the cage for SWR, Liam Daly finished with 7 saves.  JD’s offense was led by Tanner Burns (1g-2a); defensively, in the cage, Jamison MacLachlan recorded 9 saves. 

The Wildcats scored the first three and kept increasing their lead throughout the first half.  The opener was scored by Arline with a drive down the right alley.  Less than a minute later and Johnny Schwarz assisted Gavin Gregorek down from the left GLE.  Three minutes later, Arline scored his second with a drive from behind the cage along the left side.  The Red Rams opener was scored by Tyler Brang on a fast-break unsettled situation.  The final goal of the quarter was scored with 0:56 left on the clock.  Long stick defenseman Tyler Schwarz scored on a slow fast-break down the field.  SWR led 4-1 after the first 12 minutes.

Coming into the second half, SWR basically replayed the first quarter.  They outscored the Red Rams 4-1 and increased their lead to six.  The opening goal of the quarter was scored by the Wildcats’ Arline fed the inside crease to J. Schwartz for his first goal.  Just under a minute later, JD responded with their lone goal of the quarter.  Johnny Keib scored with a fast-break straight down the field after aJD vs SWR SWR goal was called back on an illegal substitution.  Before momentum could be set, Keib ran it downfield and drove straight to the cage.  SWR scored the next three goals to finish out the half.  Arline assisted the first (Dominic Visintin scored) and scored the next two.  The first was a single drive from the top and the second was a single drive from the right GLE.  The Wildcats led 8-2 at the half.

In the third quarter, both teams added three goals to their total and the Wildcats held the six goal lead after another 12 minutes.  SWR scored back to back goals to start the quarter.  Gregorek and J. Schwarz scored with drives from behind (Gregorek) and the top of the restraining line (J. Schwarz).  With 5:38 remaining, JD scored their third goal.  Burns scored and started off a three goal streak for the Red Rams that spanned two minutes.  Forty seconds later, Burns assisted William Davis with a crease feed from the right flat.  A little over a minute later, JD’s third goal was assisted by Davis with Nick Kemmis scoring on a fast-break.  The Red Rams had momentum, but the Wildcats kept them scoreless in the three minutes and did not let them capitalize on the swing.  The Wildcats added one more goal with 0:09 left on a fast-break goal of their own.  Cristian Mercado subbed on during a clear and was quickly given the ball.  JD vs SWRThey sprinted upfield and fed Visintin across the crease for the goal.  SWR continued with their six goal lead (11-5) going into the final 12 minutes.

In the fourth quarter, JD scored the opener during extra-man offense.  Burns crossed a pass to Connor Durkin for the goal with 5:19 remaining in the game.  SWR responded with a man-up goal of their own.  Arline scored his fifth of the game with an assist from J. Schwarz.  Brang scored his second off a sweep along the top.  His shot came from the top right and finished into the top shelf of the goal.  SWR won the faceoff with just over two minutes left and called a timeout with the ball in their offensive end.  After a series of penalties, the Wildcats finished out the game and secured their fourth Title and join Victor in being tied for 7th with the most State Titles.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Briarcliff - 8
LaFayette/Onondaga - 9
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Briarcliff 2 2 3 1   8
  LaFayette/Onondaga 3 0 2 3 1 9


LaFayette/Onondaga Comeback to Win in OT

- LaFayette/Onondaga came back from behind to defeat Briarcliff 9-8 in OT.  The Lancers scored the last three goals of regulation to force overtime with a little over 2 minutes left on the clock.  LaFayette, before combining with Onondaga, had previously won two State Titles (the last of which was in 2005 as a Class C school).  With their win tonight, they become the 2nd Team from Section III to win a State Title in Class D (third year with a Class D Tournament). LaFayette/Onondaga vs Briarcliff Leading in scoring for the Lancers was Mason Homer with 3g.  Senior Reid Jackowski finished with 2g.  He was responsible for the tying goal, as well as the game winner in overtime.  In the cage for L/O, Collin Dix recorded 12 saves.  For Briarcliff, their offense was led by Jack Ricciardi (1g-2a) and Kyle Proctor (2g-1a).  Between the pipes was Ian Leahy with 5 recorded saves.

LaFayette/Onondaga opened up the scoring in the game with a goal from Zach Delaney.  He scored on an outside shot and an assist from Dylan Lyons.  Lyons finished with 1g-3a for the Lancers.  The Bears responded with back to back goals to take their first lead.  Both goals were assisted by Ricciardi and both were inside feeds to the crease.  The first was scored by Proctor and the second, in extra-man offense, was scored by Anthony Capasso.  L/O responded with their own pair of goals to get back on top.  Lyons scored his lone goal with a dodge to the crease from the left side.  With 2:15 left in the quarter, Homer scored his first goal with an inside dodge near the crease.  The Lancers led 3-2 after 12 minutes.

LaFayette/Onondaga vs BriarcliffThe second quarter was the lowest scoring with Briarcliff adding two and holding the Lancers scoreless.  The first was scored on the opening face-off with a fast-break by Micahel Donoghue.  Donoghue played a strong game at the draw and won close to 75%.  The second was scored on another fast-break.  This time it was Matthew Waterhouse assisting  and Andrew Kanovsky scoring.  Briarcliff took the one goal lead (4-3) into halftime.

In the third quarter, Briarcliff extended their lead by one at 7-5.  The Bears scored the first goal with a feed to the cutting crease.  Ricciardi scored with an assist from Spencer Rockmore.  L/O responded with a drive from behind by Trevor Hill.  He finished his shot underhand and went underneath Leahy’s cross.  Four minutes later, Briarcliff added another during man-up with Proctor scoring his second.  The Bears continued to pile on the pressure with Rockmore making a strong second effort goal.  He drove to the cage and shot, resulting in a save by Dix.  The ball went loose in front of the cage, and he scooped up his own rebound and finished into the back of the net.  LaFayette/Onondaga scored the final goal of the quarter with an outside shot by Mason.

LaFayette/Onondaga vs Briarcliff In the fourth quarter, Briarcliff struck first with their final goal of the game.  Waterhouse scored from the top of the restraining line on a feed from Proctor with 9:52 left on the clock.  The Lancers trailed by three with nearly 10 minutes left.  They scored the next three goals, while also holding the Bears scoreless.  The first was scored on a fast-break only 27 seconds later.  Lyons assisted Homer for the goal.  Another minute and another goal.  With 8:06 left on the clock, Delaney scored his second goal with a big sweep along the top of the restraining line.  The game remained in Briarcliff’s favor for another six minutes before Jackowski scored the game tying goal.  He scored off an inside feed from Ethan Gentile with 2:20 left in regulation.  Both teams had another attempt at the cage but could not convert another goal.

The game went into overtime and LaFayette/Onondaga knew they needed the ball.  They called a timeout to help win the face-off with 3:53 left.  The ball went around a couple times before a drive by Lyons forced a slide.  Lyons kept the ball going to the upper right and found Jackowski for the shot.  He took a hard sidearm shot to the near pipe and went just over the cross of the goalie to secure the victory.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.



From the Gallery
  • 2019 Irondequoit at Fairport
    Irondequoit at Fairport
  • 2019 Victor at Penfield
    Victor at Penfield

19_USLax Inside

19_CA Bank

19_Donations Inside