Game Day Reports for

Saturday June 1, 2019

Scores Today
Fairport - 5Orchard Park - 1REPORT
Victor - 8Hamburg - 4REPORT
Geneva - 6East Aurora - 8REPORT
Penn Yan - 8Eden - 5REPORT


Fairport - 5
Orchard Park - 1
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Fairport 0 0 2 3   5
  Orchard Park 0 0 1 0   1


Fairport Advances in Low Scoring Game

- In the lowest scoring New York State game in eleven years, Fairport defeated Orchard Park 5-1 to advance to the next round.  Today’s game was also the lowest scoring Class A game in 24 years, going back to Mahopac defeating Ward Melville 2-1 in the second round of Class A Tournament of 1996.  The game was a pairing of a strong defense from both teams and a Fairport offense that had trouble getting their shots on cage.  Fairport goalie Tim Defendis finished with 12 saves (92%) and Orchard Park goalie Brendan Hamm recorded 7 saves (58%).

In the first half, neither team scored and the game remained 0-0 at halftime.  The opening goal of the game was scored by Orchard Park with 10:01 remaining in the third quarter.  Jake Shul scored with an outside shot from midrange to sneak one past Defendis.  The Red Raiders tied the game two minutes later with a drive from behind the cage by Alex Nicastro.  Nicastro finished leading in scoring with 2g-1a.  Five minutes later, the Red Raiders added another with feed from Gavin Ingalls to Colin Peers.  Ingalls fed the ball from the top right to the left flat.  Fairport led 2-1 after 36 minutes.

In the fourth quarter, the game remained close until the final three minutes.  Fairport scored three goals in the final three minutes to increase their lead.  Kole Stuver, Peers and Nicastro each added a goal in the final minutes.  Fairport advances to play Baldwinsville (who defeated Corning 12-4) in the State Semi-Finals round that will played at St. John Fisher on Wednesday at 4:00.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Victor - 8
Hamburg - 4
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Victor 1 0 2 5   8
  Hamburg 2 1 1 0   4


Victor Advances to Semi-Finals

- Victor came alive in the fourth quarter and scored five unanswered to defeat Hamburg 8-4.  The Bulldogs played a tight three quarters before the Blue Devils became too much for them in the final 12 minutes.  Hamburg played a strong 36 minutes and forced Victor to deal with them on the offensive and defensive side of the field.  They led until Victor’s second goal of the fourth (9:34 remaining).  The Blue Devil offense had problems getting going.  They led in shots 27-19 on the game, but had trouble putting their early shots on the cage.  Scoring was mostly spread out with junior attackman Joey Pezzimenti leading for Victor with 3g-1a.  Goalie Liam Haller recorded 10 saves (71%).

Hamburg started off the scoring with a dodge from the top of the restraining line by Brett Chiodo.  The Blue Devils opening goal was scored six minutes later with an inside feed from behind by TJ Brei to Alec Russell.  With under a minute left in the quarter, Hamburg scored their second to go back on top.  Brock Schneider scored unassisted with a drive from behind the cage.  Hamburg led 3-1 after 12 minutes.

The second quarter only had a single goal from the Bulldogs.  The goal was scored during fast-break that began with a broken clear.  Spencer Nyhart assisted Devin Collins for the goal.  At the conclusion of the half, Hamburg goalie Jared Evenden finished the first half with 10 saves (91% in the first half).  He only added a single more save in the second half and finished at 11 saves.  In the third quarter, Victor scored back to back to tie the game at 3-3.  The first was a high outside shot by Russell with the feed coming from Pezzimenti.  Two minutes later, Pezzimenti scored after a loose ball pickup on the crease.  Their was a single Hamburg goal, their last of the game, scored with 1:49 left on the clock.  Nyhart drove from the top to the left side at GLE, before coming into the crease.  The Bulldogs were held scoreless for the final 14 minutes.

In the fourth quarter, Victor added five goals.  They had scoring from Pezzimenti (2), Patrick Carrozzi, Jack LaRue and Brei.  The final goal by LaRue was scored on an empty net after Bulldogs pulled their goalie in an attempt to get back on offense.  The Blue Devils advance to play Vestal (defeated F-M 9-7) on Wednesday at 6:00.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Geneva - 6
East Aurora - 8
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Geneva 4 1 0 1   6
  East Aurora 0 3 3 2   8


East Aurora Wins First NYS Tournament Game in School History

- After winning their first Sectional Title in school history, East Aurora can now add their first NYS Tournament win to their list of achievements.  East Aurora fought back from a 4-0 deficit to defeat Geneva 8-6.  The Blue Devils scored 7 of the last 8 goals to secure the victory.  They held the Panthers scoreless for twenty-one minutes spanning the second, third and fourth quarters.  The Blue Devils were led in scoring by Drew Kenney with 4a.  Jack Rogers was the only other Blue Devil to score more than one point (2g).  Geneva goalie Brandon Wayne finished with 11 saves in the contest, including six in the final quarter.

Geneva led off strong and scored the first four goals.  They held the Blue Devils scoreless in the first quarter and for the first twenty minutes.  The opening goal was scored by Curtis Denison with an assist from Nick Askin.  Denison scored with a shot from the right flat.  The second goal was scored only forty seconds later with a feed from behind by Aiden Eighmey to Dugan Doeblin.  Doeblin also scored the third goal with a tight cross-crease feed from Sam Miller.  Miller finished with 2g-1a to lead his team.  The fourth goal of the quarter was scored by Miller with a fast-break feed from Eighmey.  The Panthers led 4-0 after 12 minutes.

In the second, neither team scored for eight minutes.  The Blue Devils broke their scoring streak with 4:20 remaining in the second quarter with a goal from Cal Klube with an assist from Kenney.  The Panther’s fifth goal was another goal from Miller with a dodge straight from the top.  The Blue Devils scored two goals to finish out the half and pull within two.  Logan Darymple and Rogers scored for East Aurora (5-3 Geneva).

In the third quarter, East Aurora added three more goals and held the Panthers scoreless.  Tage Hoag scored with a feed from behind the crease from Kenney.  Hoag’s shot came from the high center restraining line.  Aiden Vergien scored the next goal on the second effort.  After Geneva’s defense knocked the ball to the turf, he came up with the loose ball on the crease and finished into the back of the net.  The third goal was scored by Rogers with a feed from behind the cage by Kenney.  Rogers’ shot came from the left flat.  The Blue Devils led 6-5 after three quarters.

In the fourth quarter, East Aurora scored the opening goal with Connor Boss scoring with an outside shot from the top center.  The final Panther goal was scored by Denison with a dodge along the right wing with 6:27 left on the clock.  Although the Panthers had chances at the cage late in the fourth, they could not capitalize and put one into the back of the net.  After a timeout with 1:01 remaining, East Aurora’s Brock Roldan took the ball straight to the cage and scored their last with 1:03 remaining on the clock. 

The Blue Devils move on to play Jamesville-Dewitt (who defeated Owego 17-3) in the NYS Semi-Finals on Wednesday at CNS, beginning at 4:00.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.


Penn Yan - 8
Eden - 5
1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
 Penn Yan 1 3 2 2   8
  Eden 2 1 2 0   5


Penn Yan Advances to Face LaFayette

- Penn Yan came back from an early deficit to defeat Eden 8-5.  Earlier in the season, the Mustangs won the matchup 14-0.  Eden, who led 3-1 early in the game, played strong for four quarters and kept the game within one for much of the second half.  This was the first time that Eden had advanced to the State Tournament.  The Raiders were led in scoring by Sawyer Schiedel (1g-1a), Zach Smalling (1g-1a) and Quinn Harrington (1g-1a) with two points each.  In the cage for Eden, Zach DeCarolis finished with 19 saves.  Colton Smith led in scoring for the Mustangs with 4g-1a.

Eden opened up the scoring with Ciro Sroda shooting from the right flat with a feed coming from behind the cage (Zach Smalling).  The Mustangs tied up the game four minutes later with Smith’s first goal.  He scored with a drive from behind the cage and twisted to the inside for a 1-on-1 with the goalie.  The Raiders finished out the quarter with another goal with 6:09 remaining on the clock.  Twenty seconds after the last goal, Eden scored on a fast-break with Peter Brockman assisting Harrington.  Eden led 2-1 after 12 minutes.

In the second half, Eden started off the scoring and Penn Yan finished it.  The Raiders scored three minutes into the quarter with Schiedel scoring unassisted on a single drive down the left side.  The Raiders led 3-1 after 15 minutes of play.  The Mustangs came back in the last seven minutes of the half to take their first lead. Mekhi Mahan scored the first with a strong single player effort through traffic.  After breaking through at nearly the crease, he finished into the back of the net.  Less than a minute later, Smith scored his second with an outside shot from the right flat.  Rounding out the quarter was a man-up goal by Conner Fingar (assisted by Ayden Mowry).  The Mustangs led 4-3 at the half.

In the third quarter, Eden scored the opener to tie up the game.  Smalling scored during extra-man offensive (with an assist from Schiedel) to tie the game up at 10:32. After failing to convert on their own man-up, Penn Yan scored in even play with Smith assisting Fingar from behind the cage.  Fingar caught the ball on the high crease and finished with a strong side arm shot into the back of the net.  The Raiders won the next draw and went into their second extra-man opportunity (two men up).  They scored with Harrington assisting Austin Sroda to tie the game at 5-5.  The Raiders were held scoreless for the final 18 minutes.  Penn Yan added one more before the end of the quarter.  Smith scored his third goal of the night with a drive from behind the cage close to the crease.  He ran into traffic but finished with the ball in the back of the net.  The Mustangs led 6-5 after 36 minutes.

Penn Yan started off the fourth quarter with their seventh goal.  Smith scored his fourth goal of the game on the assist from Devon Gerhardt during extra-man offense (the fourth man-up goal of the game).  With just over six minutes remaining, Penn Yan defense ran out a double man-up situation to keep the two goal lead going into the final six minutes.  They cleared the ball upfield after regaining possession and went into a stall.  The officials put on a “keep it in” and Penn Yan maintained possession.  Three minutes later, Fingar scored his third with an assist coming from Gerhardt.  The Mustangs led by three with just under three minutes remaining.  The final two minutes were ran-out in extra-man offense by the Mustangs.

Penn Yan advances to play LaFayette (who defeated Chenango Forks 14-12) on Wednesday at CNS at 6:00.

More information is available on the GAME REPORT page.



From the Gallery
  • 2019 Kettle Moraine at Victor
    Kettle Moraine at Victor
  • 2019 Pal-Mac at Geneva
    Pal-Mac at Geneva

19_USLax Inside

19_CA Bank

19_Donations Inside